Machine Gun Part Identification

I joke with her about that, one day a yard sale will happen and $5 will be in my wifes pocket.....I dont know why he loved this junk.

I am going to sell about all of it, but not until is all identified and checked. I am not a dealer so takes me longer than some. If you are interested in the sight(Black River Militaria CII), I would.

Interesting anomaly: the "9" on the ladder is in a different font than the rest of the numbers.

Any ideas as to what this sight is from? Or why there are two apertures, one normally sized and one unusually large just below it?

Edited by StrangeRanger

Lots of stuff Jim! Have been putting on ebay and sold about 27 hammers in a lot. The sight is up and if you guys are interested will be reasonable as you helped with the identification. It is listed high as will just lower until it goes. I will get some more pictures of the slides up as interesting to compare them. Some foreign. Lots of stuff... and I love my book:).

post-260628-0-22464100-1608088459_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

If it's for a Benet, it's not for a US model I don't think? Assuming it's graduated in yards, it's way short of what the common sights are graduated to? Font and markings are completely different as well. There are at least 4 guns that used that style of leaf, and several look the same, but have minute differences. I've never seen that font style before on any US gun?

US Benet sights fit into 1917 browning bases, but they have some differences and are likely not accurate. I've seen Browning sights on Benet's so apparently they got easily mixed up because they fit.

Here's some pics of sights and types mounts. Delving into the details of these sights is new to me and this thread has prompted me to make some comparisons and find out more about the odd Benet-Mercie sights.

Jeff's comment is correct to the extent that the BMG sight leaf will fit onto the Benet sight leaf mount, but the BMG leaf was never assembled on the guns that had the specific style of leaf mount that put the windage knob on the forward left of the receiver sight mount mount. Also, the thread on the Benet-Mercie type of windage knob and leaf base is different than the windage knob thread on the BMG leaf mount and base which is just a noteworthy difference since the BMG leaf base cannot fit the Benet receiver mount. The windage threads on the BMG leaf mount are in the wrong end of the mount.

First pic is of the rear sight on the 1915 Colt Vickers. It is the same sight that was used on the Benet-Mercie and the Colt commercial digger. The windage knob is located forward left on the leaf mount.

Second pic shows the Benet-Mercie leaf on left and BMG leaf on right. Very different lengths is the obvious difference but there are other minor differences.

Third pic shows the leaf mounts with shorter Benet-Mercie mount on left and longer BMG on right.

Fourth pic shows the three parts of the Benet-Mercie rear sight with receiver sight base mount on left, leaf mount center and leaf on right.

So, the three specific MGs that used the shorter .30-06 sight leaf with the windage adjustment knob located on the forward left of the rear sight mount appear to be the Benet-Mercie auto rifles, both makes, the Colt commercial 1914 digger and the Colt 1915 Vickers. FWIW

post-9100-0-37576800-1609631694_thumb.jpegpost-9100-0-02849500-1609631744_thumb.jpegpost-9100-0-37492400-1609631786_thumb.jpegpost-9100-0-06488600-1609631819_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Black River Militaria CII
  • Upvote 1

Nice assortment!!

Just not a lot of this stuff around and as random parts pop up it becomes difficult to match them up correctly. This is pic of what I recall to be a Benet sight on a 17 BMG base. This may be the only one (since it's probably wrong and wouldn't be accurate) and I may have forgotten what happened here?

There was also an early US bolt rifle that used the same or similar leaf (don't recall what the base looked like?) when I was researching this years ago.....still can't remember what it was?

IMG_8321.JPG

There was also an early US bolt rifle that used the same or similar leaf (don't recall what the base looked like?) when I was researching this years ago.....still can't remember what it was?

johnsonlmg41,

I guess it depends on the definition of "similar," but the M1917 Rifle has a somewhat similar ladder style rear sight.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

The sight mounted on the BMG pictured above is interesting since it is calibrated to 2400 yds whereas the Benet-Mercie sight goes out to 2600.
Although I am not positive, and I'll go out on a limb here, I believe that neither the Colt or Springfield versions of the auto rifle were made in any other caliber than .30-06.
So, in my opinion, that shorter range sight was not made for the Benet-Mercie guns.

FWIW