Thompson Pics

First Pic with Airborne troops most interesting. Three reasons, 1. Interesting magazine system configuration, 2. modified grip on forearm, 3. ! Notice the stock on this 28, it has the cross-bolt reinforcement modification, (?) supposedly, this wasn't done during wartime, yet here is the Pic. Anyone have info on this pic, unit and/or timeframe?

Which post and which pic are your mentioning?

TSMGguy,

Here is the picture he is referring to:

Thompson Airborne.jpg

M3Bobby mentioned an article on the Chinese Thompson.

Seems to me I recall an article by Dan Shea in SAR many years ago....with several great pics.

Now I gotta go digging.....

Edited by john

That reminds me - one of my favorite lines from The Magnificent Seven

Bob

Here's a couple of pics that Eli Wallach signed for me from that great film. He played the Mexican bandito "Calvera". By the time he made "The Good The Bad and the Ugly" 6 years later, he had already laid the groundwork for portraying the great part of "Tuco".

Mike Hammer

Eli as Calvera.jpg

Eli on horse.jpg

Getting back to Thompsons, here's a photo of mine showing some Thompson use to bring down a Jap sniper.

Mike Hammer

WW2 Thompson.jpg

WW2 Thompson 1.jpg

The Good, Bad and Ugly was a classic.

A lot of very inaccurate gun info, especially the percussion revolver with cartridges, but still great.

Tuco could have said::

"Eh, Blondie! Maybe next time I do the cutting, eh?

Eef I had a Thompson the cutting would be a lot easier"!

Edited by john

I love a converted 1851 navy to cartridge. I got to thinking today that once all this COVID business is over I will try to link up with the head historian for Fort Benning down at the National Infantry Museum. I wanna see if I can sweet talk my way into going through their TSMGs documenting them, photographing them, and go through their archives of photos. I was extremely fortunate to make friends when I helped map out some WW1 training areas I found.

First Pic with Airborne troops most interesting. Three reasons, 1. Interesting magazine system configuration, 2. modified grip on forearm, 3. ! Notice the stock on this 28, it has the cross-bolt reinforcement modification, (?) supposedly, this wasn't done during wartime, yet here is the Pic. Anyone have info on this pic, unit and/or timeframe?

Which post and which pic are your mentioning?

TSMGguy,

Here is the picture he is referring to:

attachicon.gif Thompson Airborne.jpg

Thanks! I think we'd need a better, more detailed pic to conclude that that's a standard M1928A1 stock reinforcing bolt. In the meantime, the best info we have states that these were all made as spare parts.

One thing I find interesting is that there are few photos of magazine pouches being worn. I know a lot of the photos are non combat action photos.

A couple of years ago I was scouring the web for pictures of M3 and M3A1 Grease Guns.

I noted in a lot of cases the extra magazines were kept in Soldiers pockets.

Reading more about it I found the 30 round magazine bag (with shoulder strap) was only issued to tanks.

That was still the case in the 1980's on the M60 series tanks I served on.

I saw some 30 round mags stuffed into 20 rd pouches.

Generally it seems the Soldiers with SMG's were left to their own means to find ways to carry extra mags.

Mostly I didn't see Soldier's with many spare mags either.

Richard

Vietnam

Interesting how many photos I have seen of Thompson’s in Vietnam with no buttstock.More than I have noticed from World War II. Is that because it was less of a primary weapon in Vietnam and more used for close quarters? A PDW?

A few months ago I asked a Vietnam vet what types of submachineguns he observed in Vietnam (we were not talking about Thompson’s at the time). He said that he saw quite a few Thompson’s, usually with the butt stock removed.

M44 jacket on that guy, too.....maybe early 60's.

Friend of mine was there 1967-68 and drove a supply truck.

He dumped his M16 for a '28 Thompson that he bought from a Marine who was going home ($20.00) with three 30 round sticks and no buttstock. Said he cleaned it and it ran perfectly.

He said it and his 1911A1 were "just right" for CQ truck guns.

He said he sold it when he went home for....$20.00!

Edited by john

This is a screen shot i took from a you tube video. I believe these soldiers are Polish home guard.The guy on the far right has a Beretta 38/42.These guys stole V2 rocket components from the germans in 1944 and on a daring mission the Britts sent a C46 to Krakow Poland to pick up the parts.

1BCB71D8-E419-4A50-AB83-A67F03951D5E.png

Edited by Petroleum 1

I know you see a lot of Germans with Thompsons, but I also see quite a bit of footage of Russians with MP-40s. I guess you make use of what you can get.

Welcome to this forum!

Here is an old post with some pictures of German troops with Thompsons

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20703&hl=germans

Have you seen any other photos of Germans with Thompsons, if so I would be grateful f you could post them, I am always looking for photos I have not seen before.

M40scoutsniper, some good photos there, welcome to the forum

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven’t seen this Thompson(s) photo with General Patton before and a dude with a 1928 in Korea. Courtesy of the NFATCA Facebook page.

732C2757-F9C0-4B15-B6AF-ACD946C1F846.jpeg

73BB43DC-22FB-4F53-895A-D33D3F495294.jpeg

Edited by cbmott