Vintage Weapons Prices

Frame looks correct, as does the SN but should be a Dulite finish , it appers it is buffed and blued. HS barrel may have been original, I have not looked in my book.

Markings: The left side of the slide is marked “S. MFG. CO. / ELIZABETH, N.J., U.S.A." (the horizontal bar on the "H" is slightly tilted with the left side higher than the right, characteristic of Singer slide markings), the top of the slide is marked "P" with the tail pointed toward the ejection port (also characteristic of Singer slide markings). The right of the frame is marked "UNITED STATES PROPERTY / No S800445" and "M 1911 A1 U.S. ARMY", the right of the frame is marked "JKC" at the top-rear of the trigger relief cut and "P" above and behind the magazine release. The left link lug is marked "P", the right "HS" (High Standard production, not original to the gun).

• Upvote 1

Jerry brought one in i think from England years ago had to be import stamped paid around $25 grand. I think he sold it for twice that never did find out who the buyer was.The importer was Simpson Ltd.It was in very good to exc. cond.

Probably well over 15 years ago maybe longer.

RON K.

This is why my collecting focus has generally been MG's. I feel they are under priced based upon their history, scarcity, and effects of changing the outcomes of wars. I've never heard anyone claim a 1911 is what changed the course of battles? Mostly tactics and other factors, but while some soldiers ran head on into battle, few ran head on towards an MG42 or a Browning MG or other MG's. I'm sure the Singer collectors would laugh at me?

This is why my collecting focus has generally been MG's. I feel they are under priced based upon their history, scarcity, and effects of changing the outcomes of wars. I've never heard anyone claim a 1911 is what changed the course of battles? Mostly tactics and other factors, but while some soldiers ran head on into battle, few ran head on towards an MG42 or a Browning MG or other MG's. I'm sure the Singer collectors would laugh at me?

Yea but a GAU-8 makes an MG42 look like a pop gun, it’s all perspective and interest. I do think Tom Hanks stopped the whole German army with a 1911 at the end of Saving Private Ryan

Edited by cbmott

I've never heard anyone claim a 1911 is what changed the course of battles?

I think Sergeant York might disagree. Kidding aside, I imagine that anyone that has a 1911 worth more than my house has a few MGs too. And as you know the cost of a MG goes deeper than the price tag.

Anything that can be collected has classics in the stratosphere. I was into coins before calibers. (Mostly because a 9-year-old kid can fill a Whitman folder with real buffalo nickels. Buying a real STEN is another matter.) But to my point: https://coins.ha.com/heritage-auctions-press-releases-and-news/-king-of-coins-1804-silver-dollar-sells-for-more-than-3.8-million-at-heritage-auctions.s?releaseId=2404

Some guns/coins/cars/sculptures are so iconic that they command their own value.

And to put the "Singer 1911" in perspective, it was for sale IN California, to Californians, at a store in Simi Valley, a couple miles from here.

Virtually NO ONE will sell a vintage semi-auto-anything to CA, much less a store right here in town.

No law forbids it. Out-of-state vendors are (justifiably?) squeamish.

And no matter how wealthy you are, you can't buy an M/G in CA.

If machine-guns are ever allowed in California, we will clear out the market at "Stratospheric" prices". For sure....Phil

I'm currently in the process of selling a Remington XP-100 (.223 single-shot, bolt-action, varmint-hunting pistol with a 15" barrel, if you aren't familiar) hardly a Saturday Night Special to a guy in Cali. The hoops that the CA DOJ makes people jump through are ...um...insane. I don't know how you people put up with it.

Edited by StrangeRanger

Yea but a GAU-8 makes an MG42 look like a pop gun, it’s all perspective and interest. I do think Tom Hanks stopped the whole German army with a 1911 at the end of Saving Private Ryan

I forgot about that......and he beat the Corona this year too!

The problem with the GAU is you need certification on the plane, pilot's license and the doggone annual physical. We are thinking about getting a Huey though and we will have a pilot on the cheap. There are a few guys in the area with cheap jets, but the maintenance and fuel more than offset the price. Aviation is a cool hobby that I just don't have the time for. Guns are great because they are not needy and if you run out of time you can shove them in a corner for years without any costs or worries.

Anjong-ni I know a fella that has several MG's in CA. It's not easy, but it is possible. He explained the details, but I don't recall them. He's not short on resources so I'm sure that helps?

• Upvote 1

Form 4 registered machine guns in California? I am sure there are probably a few,but my late friend Gordon Herigstad (who had a lot of friends on this forum) lived in San Pedro. His Thompson s stayed in Oregon. Gordon was a very smart individual which leads me to believe that is almost impossible to own a machine gun in California.

• Upvote 1

Form 4 registered machine guns in California? I am sure there are probably a few,but my late friend Gordon Herigstad (who had a lot of friends on this forum) lived in San Pedro. His Thompson s stayed in Oregon. Gordon was a very smart individual which leads me to believe that is almost impossible to own a machine gun in California.

Cal DOJ very rarely approves machinegun transfers to private individuals unless you are in the movie gun rental business or an SOT.

Edited by maxfaxdude

maxfaxdude, on 19 Jun 2020 - 20:44, said:

MrBill, on 19 Jun 2020 - 10:45, said:

Cal DOJ very rarely approves machinegun transfers to private individuals unless you are in the movie gun rental business or an SOT.

CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit - is what you need to provide firearms for motion pictures in CA.

There are a number of tabs on the permit. Machine gun and machine-gun manufacturer are the two that would pertain to Full auto.

SBR, DD are other tabs.

It is a discretionary issue, and requires the location of storage, your transport vehicle and other things being inspected, it is about $360 per year.

It is a yearly issue, and can be slow to renew, leaving you with registered and located firearms and an out of date permit if you're not careful.

Each "pertaining" firearm gets it's own $100 fee, too.

It is a (somewhat) stressful permit to renew, maintain and apply for.

Wisest left to a reputable CA Firearms Lawyer to maintain - approx $1000 per execution.

The above CA DOJ DWP is a VERY different permit to the CA DOJ Entertainment Weapons Permit, which the permit ALL prop-masters touching firearms must have.

The CA DOJ EFP simply allows you to rent and transport Non-NFA firearms which are not registered in your name.

To buy firearms with your C+R FFL here you need a CA DOJ Certificate of Eligibility.

The CA DOJ COE is not really useful as a prop master, but wise to have, in case you need to buy and not rent.

So rounding up.

To do motion pictures firearms work in CA:

(All yearly renewal, all require separate live scan and fee.)

CA DOJ DWP

CA DOJ EFP

CA DOJ COE

Also useful to keep a C+R FFL 03 - looks good in the permit folder. (three year renewal and fee and live scan.)

But remember the FFL 03 is absolutely not permitted for business use, so using it for entertainment work is a gray area.

Or, you can FFL 07 and SOT - but many cities and areas simply will not issue an FFL (above .03 C+R.)

I know of a few collectors (count on one hand) who acquired FFL's in the 80's and 80's and have managed to maintain them, but this is a select few.

Really simple, really :)

It's not that small a group, similar to Section 5 FAC holders in the UK. It doesn't pay to advertise and is unwise.

Edited by pitfighter
  • Upvote 1