Colt 21 Restore - Suggestions?

I had a mint Colt 21 that went through a house fire in 2000. We found it in the aftermath - no wood, pitted from water, etc. I transferred it to Class 2 guy who has had it for over 4 years and still doesn't have it done. No parts, can't find springs, etc. I'm tired of this and want my toy fixed and back. Any suggestions as to someone who can do this for me? Also concerned about heat damage to receiver.

Thanks

tlturbo,

I agree with Deerslayer. Go with PK for the metal/mechanical work and Deerslayer for the wood. You may still have a bit of a wait as both of these gentlemen's services are in demand, but much less than you have already waited. Four years is WAY TOO LONG!!

Roger

Thanks guys,

But before I shell out a LOT of $$ to get it back original, I need to make sure that the receiver can be restored that well. If I am going to end up with a pitted, ratty looking shooter, I will just put other cheaper parts in it. I'm not sure just WHAT attempts to clean up the receiver this other guy has done.

That's the first question I need to resolve.

Thanks for the recommendations.

As long as it has 1921 on it you will not lose,

I seen one at the Creek ,that sold for $18,000 last April and the only thing that was original on it was the receiver,and it was bare metal.

See Ya

Tino

I'm sorry to ask for help on this, but if someone would take the time to answer this for me, I'd greatly appreciate their time. Please feel free to e-mail me if you don't want to take up space on here with all this.

I talked to the guy restoring my Colt 21 and he said he has accumulated most of the parts and that they are Colt parts. What I want to know is just what parts on a 1921 COLT are COLT specific and how are they marked or identified. I don't want to pay for a Colt such and such if it isn't really a Colt part.

Sorry to be ignorant but I would really appreciate the help.

Also, how do I find out if my ser# is listed in the book you all keep mentioning that shows history of guns by ser #.

Many thanks to all.

Terry

Provide the number and someone will look up the number for you.. Many of us have Gordon's books. Its a suprise that you dont know the history of a "mint" 21.

I bought the gun in 1975 from a place in Atlanta GA. They supposedly got it from Raiford State Prison in Stark, FL. The buttstock was stamped FSP for Florida State Prison. Back 30 years ago, I don't think anyone had done much research on serial numbers and I never bothered looking any harder.

Thanks - Terry

One would think if the receiver has not been overheated in the fire the parts other than the springs would be in ok. It is easy to tell if the bolt is Colt as well as most of the other main parts, the springs are something else, but over the years many springs have been replaced anyway.

It looks like you have a good idea where the gun started out - the serial number may add some additional knowledge. There was research done 30 years ago and your gun might be listed in Cox's book, was well as Gordon's book.

Did you purchase the gun from Cox? He called his company "Law Enforcement Ordnance Company" and he was located in Atlanta GA.

Many of us have the Cox price lists from that period and his list show numbers and in some cases where the guns came from.

Best of luck in getting your gun restored.

That PLUS the catalog of the guy in Arizona - Was his name J Curtis Earl or something like that?

I'd tell you what I paid for that 21 Colt back in 76 but you would suffer severe heart palpatations or worse. But if you had the catalog, you know what the prices were. If we'd only known, right?

I have wanted a MG42 since forever but will probably never get one (where did I put that lottery ticket?)

Hey,... I`ve got a BAR-A2 thats got "'Law Enforcement Ordnance Company" inscribed on the receiver next to the trigger assy ...does your 21 have that also? I`m wondering why they would write the name of the company on a firearm that they didn`t actually produce.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

The price sheet from Cox dated Oct, 25 1974 lists several 1921's priced from $975.00 to $2100. for mint a guns.

At the same time he offered a local PD $650.00 for a 1921 and 1928, "C" drum and 2ea Colt numbered drums and one case in outstanding condition.

I later obtained the 21, drums and case.

I think I bought mine in late 1975 because I was getting married in Feb 76 and my soon to be wife about crapped when she found out I paid (trying to remember exactly) about 2400 for the gun and 100 for a 50 drum. I might be off a hundred one way or another on the gun.

I use to drool over the MGM (I think) movie guns that Earl had in his catalog.

Now my toy is a McBros .50 BMG single shot target rifle. Reloading for that is a trip. 214 grains of powder behind a 850 gr turned bronze projectile. It gets as much attention at the range as the Tommy did.

Terry

Roger Cox was the owner of Law Enforcement Ordance Company and it was located in Athens GA not Altanta. I read something some where about him inscribing the name of the company on the BAR's but I can't remember why he did it. Can anyone shed any light on this?

because roger imported alot of stuff and had to have the name stamped on it.ar-10's bar's, mp-40's..spanish star subgun's.and some beretta's.and a few other's.....he was in the merril lynch building in athen's...across from the park with the civil war double barrel cannon...neat item.s........

that take's me back 30 year's..good time's.........take care,ron