C-Drum Original Finish

Actually, the drums are blued inside and out. The reason the outside looks different is because it was grit blasted before the finish was applied. There should be a telltale line around the outside where the cover overlaps the body. This should be smooth, as the cover and body were assembled when the grit blasting was done.
  • Upvote 1

Rimcrew,

I suggest you post pics of the drum so that we may be able to determine whether it is parked or not. As Mike Hammer indicates, if truly parked, that reduces its value.

Thanks everyone.

I'm pretty sure the drum came from the same PD that owned the Colt. You can see some pitting where one would have held the drum, so one of the two prior owners had it parked to lessen the visibility of the pitting, I presume. Too bad...

I don't care about value as the drum will be handed down with the Colt, when I move on.

Rimcrew,

Nice "C" Drum. It is not Parkerized, it is the original blue finish. The body and cover were bead-blasted prior to being blued. The cover was left on the body while it was being prepped, leaving the smooth metal finish around the edge of the body where the cover was in place. The rotor was not in the drum when this was done, so usually when the back of the drum body was bead-blasted, some of the bead-blast penetrates the hole in the body for the rotor shaft and makes a couple of small circular marks on the inside of the drum cover, which is otherwise smooth. Look closely on the inside cover of your drum and I will bet that you will see a couple of rough finish circles (about the size of a dime) on the inside cover. This would indicate original finish. It is possible that the drum and cover were re-blued at some point to cover some rust pitting, but it is not Parkerized.

Edited by gijive

Look closely on the inside cover of your drum and I will bet that you will see a couple of rough finish circles (about the size of a dime) on the inside cover. This would indicate original finish.

Yes sir, two circles around the size of a dime are on the inside of the cover. Great information, thank you!

I am always amazed at the depth of knowledge on this site. Thanks to all for your help.