Optic Mount for M1

Has anyone ever seen a mount for one of the mini red dot sights that fits directly into the M1 rear sight dovetail cut? It seems to me that this would be a great way to mount one of those sights nice and low. The usual mounts are very high and awkward.

Are there any rail top mounts that fit the rear dovetail? A low rail. Then the red dot fits on top of the rail. Steel would be much better than aluminum. Fitting would be expected. I also need to put a optic on my Inland. But please remember we are getting just better and better ... ... and not older and older. :)

The other tried and true attachment method requires two holes drilled and tapped into the right receiver side. Not a optimal solution but it has been done. :(

Thanks, but that's exactly the type of clunky mount I am hoping to avoid. The little mini red dots have a variety of mounts that go right into the dovetail cuts on pistol slides, which mounts it very low and tight to the pistol. One made for the dovetail cut on the Carbine receiver would seem to be a natural, but as far as I can tell, nobody makes one.

You would probably have to see if you have any local machinist that would be willing to tackle that job, but you would probably need a receiver blueprint for the dovetail slot size.

I am in no way against it, but I think like me, a lot of people are more of the purist type when it comes to the M1 Carbine, so there isn't a large call for a mount different from what is already out there.

Andrew

One major concern would be powder gas from the breach covering the optic's window . I put a rail on the rear of a Colt 1991 and mounted a Fastfire III . The breach blast would keep you from seeing through it after less than a mag . Moving it back one slot helped a lot , but was still a problem . You would prob'ly want the body of the sight more over the receiver tail than the dovetail and have the front lens around the dovetail area .

Chris

My only experience was the above pistol . It uses 5.3 grs of 231 . A carbine uses about 3X more 296 IIRC , but it would heavily depend on were the gas jet focuses . I suspect that is why there is a lack of this type of mounts on the market .

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of usage with one of the mini red dot sights that people are mounting on pistol slides all over the place these days. Since there is no magnification, eye relief is irrelevant.

Anyway, if there was such a critter out in the marketplace someone would have mentioned it by now. Thanks to all that replied. I noticed that JP Enterprises offers a "gunsmithing special" mount for their little red dot and I may have to get one and have it machined to fit the carbine dovetail. I'm curious as to how well it might work in view of the comments about blowback from the chamber. I honestly don't know if that will be a factor or not. Past experience with a Springfield M1A rifle and a silencer taught me what backblast really was from a wide-open action like that and how unpleasant it could be. I wound up shutting the gas off and using the rifle as a bolt action it was so bad. Live and learn.