Cleaning and Lubricating a MP-40

Hello Guys,

I read the section on Cleaning and Lubricating in Blitzkrieg, it basically says to use "a gun cleaning spray solvent" and then re-lubricate it. What type of spray solvent do you use? Do you ever use compressed air to dry it/remove residual solvent before you oil it? I use Ballistol for a lubricant, what do you use? And lastly is there any video clips of a MP-40 being cleaned and lubricated?

On Thursday nights I participate in a IDPA style pistol shoot, tonight after the pistol shoot was done we ran the course with the MP-40, it was a blast! I let several people run it with the MP and they were amazed how easy the gun is to run and hit steel with.

Any secrets or tips on cleaning/lubricating would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tommy

Edited by TomN

As Petroleum1 said above, I use the Hoppes gun cleaner and I also use the Hoppes gun oil and strip the gun down and make sure I oil the inside of the barrel, and receiver, the bolt, recoil spring assembly, and the lower receiver. When I go into the vault and want to finger the gun, I usually like to use the Remington gun cloths to take off any fingerprints. Well, hope this helps, take care, Haenelistklasse

It's so different than my ARs or pistols, I just wanted some reassurance on what I'm doing to the MP-40 and Sten. Petroleum1 and Haenelistklasse, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.

Thanks,

Tommy

I use qtips and patches with hoppes. Spray rem oil everywhere and wipe off. Then use mobile one or other special thicker oil on the bolt and wipe off

Because of potential takedown slot wear on the receiver I do not clean every time I shoot it. I wait until 1000 rounds

My slot has been tweaked to tighten upper to lower fit. I dont want to loosen it up extra from breaking it down every time I shoot it

Just like i dont play with the stock. Every time you open and close it its 1 less time it will stay tight

The gun has design flaws. But I agree how accurate it is. If I were in ww2 Id be very happy to be issued a mp40

I asked John Andrewski what to lube my MP40 with and he said "synthetic 0w-20". Lots when I first get it back from him (currently being built) as it will be a little tight.

He said it was probably the best thing for any steel gun, it won't cook like dino oils and cleanup is pretty easy.

As he said, an $8 quart will last a long time...