Possibly Refinished Savage, Need Guidance

As I continue the leaning process, I would like to call upon the experts to help me understand what's going on with this gun.

It looks to me like it may have been heavily pitted in the area where the flaming bomb is, and was sanded pretty well prior to being refinished. It looks like there is an inspector stamp to the left of the flaming bomb, but it has been all but obliterated. It also appears as though the RLB stamp was mostly sanded out, and someone tried to re-stamp the letters, and in the process made a mess.

Do those observations seem correct, and shouldn't the finish be Dulite, not blued or is that just the camera playing tricks?

Thanks for your insight!

tAlzjWC.png

First there was 2 types of DuLite finishes. I think it was type 2 and 3 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). DuLite is bluing. The 1928s had more of the traditional blue look while the M1s were the flat black/blue which in the right light/photo or wear can sometimes be mistaken for parkerizing.

Those pits could also be just rust pitting that was refinished over. There are plenty of other Thompson's out there that received multiple strikes/stamps when it came to the markings but it's hard to say either way for sure.

Andrew

I would also expect to see a GEG round stamp somewhere in the area. Most likely, in the area above the ordnance flaming bomb.

There is what looks like a very faint GeG stamp at about 10:00 o'clock from the flaming bomb stamp. I see part of the circle and portion of the Ge portion of the stamp. Likely wouldn't be able to see it on a phone screen.

• Upvote 1

FWIW, I se the GeG stamp, too, though very light. My Savage M1 was heavily grinded upon and polished on one side to the point nearly all the proof marks were obliterated. That the flaming bomb and RLB are so prominent and the former isn't is odd. Maybe the GeG guy was tired that day! Rust

how many digits in the serial #

the ejector is earlier than the gun unless its 19999 or less

The S/N is in the 164,000 range, IIRC.

Shouldn't this also have a knurled actuator, not smooth?

Edited by Rimcrew

That pitting might be weld porosity. Thats where a lot of DMIL cuts are. Cant get a real good look with phone

The gun passed through NAC at one point, so I'm assuming it is not a reweld, valid assumption??

Also, the upper and lower S/N's match, so could this have been a used WWII gun? I thought NAC only assembled random pieces from the stock they had on hand, which would make matching numbers highly unlikely.

It took me a while but I finally see the ghost GEG stamp. I don't know the cause

of the double struck RLB. If this area around the ordnance bomb has been sanded

or polished to remove putting the area would be slightly dished which we can't tell

A from the photo.

I don't remember if a gun with this serial number would be a Savage Commercial

gun or if it's a M1928A1. A M1928A1 would have the distinctive Blanchard ground

finish and this gun has a much smoother fine finish, so polished and re-blued?

And once again Dulite is a supplier of chemicals for black oxide treatment of steel.

Bob

Do you have other photos? It would be helpful to know if it is a 1928, 1928 A1 or 1928 AC. Those three are "models", and then you can get into the finish, original, arsenal rework, sanded, heavily sanded, reblued over pitting etc. Then you have the category of reweld or not. If so, how good is the weld. Yep, there is alot to each SN out there. Prices will vary depending on all those variables. As far as the ejector goes, Savage also made one piece ejectors. They are marked with an "S". The COLT ejectors are unmarked.

Cheers,

Sandman1957

Edited by Sandman1957

These receivers were roll marked. The process displaced metal. You should be able to feel the markings when rubbing a finger tip back and forth over them. If smoothness is all you feel, then the surface has been ground or buffed enough to remove metal. The evidence of original final surface milling should also be visible. Here, it isn't, more evidence of refinishing.

Right, Dulite is just a trade name for a particular bluing process. Original Savage made M1928A1 receivers had a slightly frosty look to them. This one is either well worn, or refinished. Looks like a Colt ejector to me, too. Also, the smooth actuator and paddle style pivot and safety are normally found on Savage made guns with a serial number in the 330,000 range and higher.

My thoughts on the double tap stamp: all who have hand-stamped steel will know that if you don't hold the stamp tight and swing hard you will likely get a hammer bounce, the die moves slightly then the hammer will tap it again.
This looks consistent with that.
That said, while the guns were roll-marked, I believe the inspectors stamps were all individually whacked into place, and many show in different areas all over the front of the port side if the receivers.
This is consistent with that also.
As for pitting, I've seen more than one string about pitting in that area and have seen evidence of that on many guns. I believe it's caused by the way the gases swirl out the port with the brass and have noted smoke alongside the port nose in that area myself while shooting. Maybe the GI's just didn't pay as much attention wiping down that port side while cleaning the guns......
Looking at the edges and flats (Bob, you have a better eye for this as you make the receivers!) all sides look flat and edges crisp and properly rounded over. It looks good to me save for one thing: the nose port flat side looks like it has been flat draw filed with a mill file?
Not sure I'd the Blanchard grinding marks should be visible or maybe it was draw filed in the refinish to scrape rust off before sandblasting?

Edited by john

Do you have other photos? It would be helpful to know if it is a 1928, 1928 A1 or 1928 AC. Those three are "models", and then you can get into the finish, original, arsenal rework, sanded, heavily sanded, reblued over pitting etc. Then you have the category of reweld or not. If so, how good is the weld. Yep, there is alot to each SN out there. Prices will vary depending on all those variables. As far as the ejector goes, Savage also made one piece ejectors. They are marked with an "S". The COLT ejectors are unmarked.

Cheers,

Sandman1957

Sandman1957,

It appears to have been a 1928 Model retro-stamped with the US. The later stamped U.S. Model of 1928A1 MOdels had the period after the U and S. If it is a 164,000 serial range, that would fit also.