Counterfeit Stevens 520-30 Trench Gun

Bought one of these, but didn't pay $900 for it! Counterfeit Trench Guns, LLC, takes standard Stevens 520-30 shotguns with matching serials and mirror bores and converts them to no-bones-about-it trench gun replicas. These guns are also refinshed to a very high standard. A high quality reproduction M1907 sling is included. I've been very pleased with mine. The gun shows no wear, inside or out, and function is perfect. My only beef was that the screws securing the bayonet mount were too long, but it was an easy matter to trim them to the proper length.

Good photos appear in the following auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem....?Item=195068076

Edited by TSMGguy

Bought one of these, but didn't pay $900 for it! Counterfeit Trench Guns, LLC, takes standard Stevens 520-30 shotguns with matching serials and mirror bores and converts them to no-bones-about-it trench gun replicas. These guns are also refinshed to a very high standard. A high quality reproduction M1907 sling is included. I've been very pleased with mine. The gun shows no wear, inside or out, and function is perfect. My only beef was that the screws securing the bayonet mount were too long, but it was an easy matter to trim them to the proper length.

Good photos appear in the following auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem....?Item=195068076

TSMGguy,

I see that they are not trying to fool anyone with their advertising, but I'm not a fan of reproductions of this type that will probably be mistaken for the real thing at a later date. I wish they were marked in some way to indicate their rework by Counterfeit Trench Guns, LLC.

Thanks for posting this.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Hi, David,

Thse guns retain all of their standard Stevens (or J.C. Higgins, or Western Field) markings. They completely lack any of the proof, ordnance, and acceptance marks commonly associated with WWII Stevens 520-30 USGI trench guns.

The serial numbers fall in ranges not associated with WWII guns. All were made prior to WWII.

This gun did cause a minor sensation at my local gun store when I picked it up a few days back. Everyone there was certain that they knew what it was, and all were wrong!

Confusing one of these with an original WWII trench gun would be (in my book) much like confusing a WH M1928 TSMG or a recently made Kahr semi-auto with a M1921 Colt's. I suppose that it could be done, but not by any individual with even the slightest knowledge of the subject.

What you get for the price is a beautifully made and expertly restored and refinished pre-war John Moses Browning designed shotgun, in excellent condition throughout, with a glassy smooth action not encountered today for any price. Any M1907 bayonet snicks right on to the reproduction steel mount. Even the mount's "correct" plum color is neatly reproduced.

This is the only gun that I own that's not in its original configuration and finish. I'm very impressed with it. I won't hesitate to shoot it, while my mint 1942 Winchester M12 trench gun sits in the safe and never sees the light of day.

Edited by TSMGguy

TSMGguy,

I guess I missed the part about the markings not being reproduced. Your follow-up post puts me more at ease about these guns.

Please get out your mint Model 12 Trench Gun, take pictures of it, post them here, then put it back in the safe....

Enjoy your new acquisition!

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com