Kahr Semi Thompson Mag Lever Issue

Hey guys, my first post here. I know the Kahr Arms semi auto Thompsons aren't really considered machine guns, for obvious reasons, but I ran into an issue with my brand new purchase and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this.

It's very minor, and my gun is still usable, but the magazine release catch appears to get stuck in the upward position when I push it up to release a magazine. What seems to happen, is that when I push the lever all the way up, the pin that is attached to this lever pops out of the magazine well hole the tiniest bit, like 1/16th of an inch. When I insert a magazine, instead of clicking in like it should, I have to insert it, then push down on the lever so it snaps back into place. I'll attach a couple pictures to show what I mean.

http://i.imgur.com/ZNEqSz7.jpg

This is the lever "stuck" in the upward position.

http://i.imgur.com/O6sx4gd.jpg

And this is the best picture I could take of the pin popping out of the magwell hole. Should I just replace the part, or is it supposed to do this, or is there something I'm missing?

Edited by Whibble

Welcome to the board, here is a link to a post that might answers/fix the problem, http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20493&hl=%2Bmag+%2Bcatch , hope this helps, your post might be moved if it is look in the Kahr semi auto section of the board to find it Edited by 1952HRA

Welcome to the board, here is a link to a post that might answers/fix the problem, http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20493&hl=%2Bmag+%2Bcatch , hope this helps, your post might be moved if it is look in the Kahr semi auto section of the board to find it

Everything you should need to know is in that post link.

But, always assume the worst with any of the Kahr imitations.

Look at the coarse finish milling on the face of the mag slot area -even though that's only cosmetics, and not a source of your problem.

The (investment cast) catch, or grip frame hole, or more -can also all be off one way or another.

Hey guys! I just got everything figured out and it works perfectly now. The forum link 1952HRA posted helped me to locate the issue, although it wasn't exactly the same thing. The channel where the spring tang from the mag release lever slides down into the pin slot was very poorly machined out, and the tang was getting stuck in the channel. The rest of the machine work on the internals is impeccable, though.

I got a file set from Walmart for somewhere around $3, and then filed the burrs and unmachined metal down, making the channel for the spring arm to slide down perfectly smooth. It works great now!

One last question, if anyone is still looking at this thread. I got a Numrich 50rd drum, and I know you're supposed to grease them. I'll probably only use it very rarely (it's semi auto, and once you load the drum you've pretty much got to shoot all 50 rounds!), but I don't want to wear it out too quickly, as they're expensive. I'd like to avoid having to buy that $75 grease tool from the guy on here, does anyone know of a way to get some oil or grease into the area of the drum that needs it, without having to buy a grease gun, c clamp, and $75 nozzle cap?

Hey guys! I just got everything figured out and it works perfectly now. The forum link 1952HRA posted helped me to locate the issue, although it wasn't exactly the same thing. The channel where the spring tang from the mag release lever slides down into the pin slot was very poorly machined out, and the tang was getting stuck in the channel. The rest of the machine work on the internals is impeccable, though.

I got a file set from Walmart for somewhere around $3, and then filed the burrs and unmachined metal down, making the channel for the spring arm to slide down perfectly smooth. It works great now!

One last question, if anyone is still looking at this thread. I got a Numrich 50rd drum, and I know you're supposed to grease them. I'll probably only use it very rarely (it's semi auto, and once you load the drum you've pretty much got to shoot all 50 rounds!), but I don't want to wear it out too quickly, as they're expensive. I'd like to avoid having to buy that $75 grease tool from the guy on here, does anyone know of a way to get some oil or grease into the area of the drum that needs it, without having to buy a grease gun, c clamp, and $75 nozzle cap?

You could just buy all of the parts and make it yourself. It wouldn't be that hard. The hardest part would be drilling the hole in the cap and tapping it for the zerk threads. You might even be able to use PVC. I'm sure others will chime in.

Andrew

You could just buy all of the parts and make it yourself. It wouldn't be that hard. The hardest part would be drilling the hole in the cap and tapping it for the zerk threads. You might even be able to use PVC. I'm sure others will chime in.

Andrew

I'm not even sure what the item is made out of and how it works. I'm new to this stuff, so bear with me. I found one youtube video showing how to grease the drum, and it simply lists the cap tool as "home made grease attachment" with no explanation as to how it works exactly. The instructional pictures for the guy's took are fairly grainy and tough to see exactly what's going on. It looks like you essentially plug one end of the rotor so the grease doesn't just pour out of the exit "hole," and pump the grease into the top so it gets pushed into the inner area of the rotor?

Edit: So my wife and I did some investigating. Does anyone know what the cap was, originally? The one used to drill the hole into for the zerk threads.

Edited by Whibble

Whibble,

Where are you located? I have one that I made a couple of years ago that I will let you borrow as long as you pick up the mailing cost and return it. I made it out of a 1" square piece of aluminum. It is bored to fit the o.d. of the rotor axle and fitted with a zerk fitting at right angle to the bored hole. This gives me a flat surface to use as a clamping surface. On the other side of the axle, I made an aluminum pin with an enlarged base to insert into the hole in the axle. It worked good. You will need a small grease gun available at any auto store foe a few bucks and a clamp that will span the two pieces. I am in Knoxville, Tennessee. I will post a photo if you want to see it. Let me know.

• Upvote 1

Whibble,

Where are you located? I have one that I made a couple of years ago that I will let you borrow as long as you pick up the mailing cost and return it. I made it out of a 1" square piece of aluminum. It is bored to fit the o.d. of the rotor axle and fitted with a zerk fitting at right angle to the bored hole. This gives me a flat surface to use as a clamping surface. On the other side of the axle, I made an aluminum pin with an enlarged base to insert into the hole in the axle. It worked good. You will need a small grease gun available at any auto store foe a few bucks and a clamp that will span the two pieces. I am in Knoxville, Tennessee. I will post a photo if you want to see it. Let me know.

I live out in Kansas, but I wouldn't be comfortable borrowing yours, man. I'm just now getting into this stuff, and I don't want to risk messing anything of anybody else's property up. I PM'd laurencen for one of the 3d printed ones. You all have been supremely helpful, and I greatly appreciate it.

I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy my Thompson without all you guy's help!

attachicon.gifgrease 1.jpgattachicon.gifpost-259430-0-21533300-1472684221_thumb.jpgcheck out the link http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19832&hl=greaser&do=findComment&comment=172454 they are produced on a 3D printer, you need a grease fitting and a O ring or garden hose gasket/washer, pm me your details and I will fire one your way

I'm interested. PM sent

Andrew