L Drum Feed Issue

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif Just purchased a A0 1927A-1 Deluxe West Hurley and took it out for the first time this past week end. I ran 50 rounds through Stick Clips with no issues. WHAT A BLAST! then tried to run 50 thru the Valentine Ldrum.... it had never been used. Out of 50 rounds we had five jamb at the feed ramp. The bottom of the jacketed round actually was sliced to the casing and the casing was peeled back. Having no problems with the stick clips any ideas fo what this could be due to? Cheap ammo not factory crimpped properly? Weak spring? Spring not wound tight enough? I am new to the Thompson arena so any help or adice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

By the way.... I paid $450 for the Thompson with two 30 round stick clips and one L drum. One of the stick clips is banged up to the point you can only load 10 rounds or so. Was this a good deal?

Chico,

It's not the ammo, it's the drum.

Do a search on this forum on "Kahr Drums" and/or "Drum Problems" and the story will unfold.

Most of the drums produced after WWII are subject to little problems, with the newest ones made by Kahr being the most touchy.

As for the paying price, I'd say you got a darn good deal, and the gun actually is a shooter!

Take care,

Zamm