Guess this had to be done

I noticed on the last post I made that a few of you suggested some parts that I sould make.

So far I have heard:

28 look cocking knob for the 27 (didn't Doug Richardson make these for $50?)

Knurled actuators (Merl Bitikoffer suggested this one but I see they are made.

28 Frames

Originally we were going to move on to making a 1927 frame that would accept the slide like a 28. I spoke with a member of the board (Devlin? not sure) who was on a similar project (project x...beautiful) utilizing the selector switch as a bolt hold open. We decided we cannot improve on this design and we are not willing to steal someone elses great idea...so we abandoned that one.

So I leave it up to the board members...what to build next?

Damon

Flat or milled 21/28 style ejectors. Of course, you'd have to sell a million of them to recoup your time I'd bet http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

How about a prototype to send to Khar that they can produce and will actully fire a XXX stick strait out of box.

I would like to see 21/28 frames. Just straight replacement part frame for people looking for a good steel frame.

These are getting impossible to find.

Norm

A "good" rendition of the Lyman ladder sight. It would be a fairly big undertaking but again another Thompson part that is tough to get.

GI style paddle selectors, pivot plates, to name a few items.

You would probably either need to buy an old Lyman sight or find someone that would allow you to use one of theirs to use as a model for the specs.

I'd like to see a better designed bolt/firingpin/hammer arrangement for the 1927. I think Dave might be on the right track with different springs, but I think a whole new arrangement of things would be better. I think the hammer/firing pin should be controlled by a spring on the bottom of the bolt so if would be more in line with the sear, thus you would have less binding of the pin. Bolt closing spring(s) could then be at the top to be straight in line with the end of the bolt.

Dan

Yeah,

I agree with Dan 100%. There were a lot of things done with my Project "X", much more than just a cosmetic makeover. As PK mentioned, it WAS more of a Design Development Project than anything else. Just holding the Gun, feels and Looks SO much like a very real Thompson Submachine Gun. I'm sure the Springs that will be introduced by David J. will work out much easier in cocking the Gun, but the bolts for the '27 really need to be redesigned. Thats my .02 worth!

The metal parts boxes can be made from small metal cigar boxes - I have made several from boxes I purchased on Ebay. The last ones I paid $10.for 3 boxes. Then use paint remover to take off the painted labels and paint flat black. There is a company in England who make metal boxes and if someone on this site is in England, maybe they could make the contact and see if these can be purchased from them.

From what I've read the original parts boxes were the size of a XX magazine, with rounded corners. Perhaps with a little nudging Tracie might just allow measurements to be taken.

Page: 356, Thompson: the American Legend; Tracie Hill

I'm not sure from the photo if it is painted or blued.

Jack,

Last year at the Thompson Show and Shoot Tracie explained that there was a metal box he came across that was identical in size and shape to the original metal spare parts boxes.

Are you coming to the show this year?

If not, I'll pay more attention this year and see if I can get the information again. By the way, they were blued, if I'm not mistaken.

GI,

Thanks for the additional input.

Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip this year due to health problems. Good news is that the Dr. said today that it should take about 26 weeks to get me back on my feet. That's a good thing considering I've been in pain for the past 1.5 years. At this point I can't get out to shoot, but in time!

I've been doing little things with my 27. Thanks to those that posted info on stain and such it's shaping up nicely. Waiting to ship it to PK for the good stuff.

I told Tracie to keep my family entrance fee as a donation.

About the charging handle knob-- yes, Doug makes some very good ones, but its sometimes hard to find him. I think there would be enough business for the both of you on this, if you wanted to take it on.

Yeah, I have to agree, the biggest thing for us westy's would be the Richardson "acutator" style

cocking knob. Unfortunatly, he is out of stock and I'm not sure he will make them again. I can tell he would sell out if these were made available again. Pleeeeeease Mr. Richardson, we need these bolt handles!!

Zamm