Need help with a few mags

I picked up a package deal of items this weekend, and part of the deal was 4x Thompson magazines. I don't know anything about the mags, and my research on the subject has been a little limited. One of the mags is a 30rd Auto-Ordnance, and the other three 20rd mags are a Seymour Products, a Crosby Co, and one is simply marked "18 Shot Cartridges". Now I have been able to determine the last is a Colt manufactured mag...but what I haven't been able to find is how common the mags are and what a rough value for each would be.

I've seen prices all over the board on the Colt, but have no idea what is currently accurate. As far as the others are concerned, I haven't found anything on them regarding price or availability.

So, what do I have here? Any guesses on a rough age of each?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/Jason280_5/Thompson/Thompson%2017_zpssf6urpqo.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/Jason280_5/Thompson/Thompson%2016_zpsmtgl3v7n.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/Jason280_5/Thompson/Thompson%2014_zps1eslzv0x.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/Jason280_5/Thompson/Thompson%2013_zpssnfen7np.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/Jason280_5/Thompson/Thompson%2012_zpsbavqif7m.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/Jason280_5/Thompson/Thompson%2011_zpspgkob2qv.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/Jason280_5/Thompson/Thompson%2010_zpsw1odygyr.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/Jason280_5/Thompson/Thompson%209_zpsatb95ni4.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a377/Jason280_5/Thompson/Thompson%208_zpsheoacsao.jpg

Your 20 and 30 rounders are worth 20-40 each. Post Colt era not uncommon. Now sit down. Your shot mag is Colt era and scarce. Based on condition I would say 500-700 maybe more may be less depending on who's shopping and how bad they need one. Keep in mind a limited audience as very few have any idea what these are. You're looks really nice. Based on condition I would lean toward my upper Spector higher. You did well.

Ron

• Upvote 1

Jason280,

You lucked into the shot mag with the other 20-round mags, and did very well for yourself. The person you bought it from did not know what they had, and you stand to make an outstanding profit as a result. Congratulations. You reached out to me about values via e-mail, seeking free information, based on not finding information easily on the internet for prices of 18-round shot magazines. You probably reached out to me because my name is often associated with Thompson items, and this website, which is the premiere site for such items. I informed you that the value of the 20 round mags were $20 to $25 each, and I made an offer on the shot mag, and for the two 20 round mags as a package. I did not opine on the value of the shot mag in our e-mail...I simply made an offer. My offer was based on what I was willing to, and could afford to pay for the shot mag, as I would like to add one to my collection. My offer was certainly lower than what has been mentioned here, but again, it was what I was willing to pay, and also in consideration of the fact that I was approached out of the blue by an unknown entity purporting to have a desirable Thompson item, asking me to provide a free appraisal, so that you could offer it for sale. My offer was declined, and then your post was made here for advice on the forum. I won't add a shot mag to my collection at $500, or $700, though there are those who may want one at those prices. Shot mags usually trade behind the scenes, and that is why you didn't find any publicly listed prices.

The value of the shot mag is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Now, keep in mind that this site is not primarily a market site, and we don't know you. You are not eligible to post items for sale here. That being said, you will probably receive some offers behind the scenes. Those who choose to do so should be careful to vet the seller, as I do not know them, and they are new to the site. If this post turns into an outright market post, I will set it to "hidden" status.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Now, keep in mind that this site is not primarily a market site, and we don't know you. You are not eligible to post items for sale here.

David,

My intentions were solely to find out information on the mags....nothing more, nothing less. I found this site (and you, specifically) through Google searches last night, and it became pretty clear that you guys were the experts. I went ahead and registered, and in my excitement over learning that the mag could be somewhat rare, also emailed you. I did not mind your offer, as it was an honest offer, and appreciate you taking the time to respond to me.

Thanks to everyone who reponded, this is probably one of the coolest things I have ever lucked into!

They were designed to fire a slightly longer round that had a cardboard cup filled with birdshot. Meant for less lethal crowd control. They will also chamber the longer 45 Thompson round that was designed for the 1923. 45 cal will load in this mag, but the longer rounds will only fit in the shot mag. An interesting Thompson oddity that had a relatively low take rate. For the die hards there are several variations of this mag as well,a two cell Mills pouch and numerous boxes of ammo.

Ron

Jason280,

Welcome to the Board. And congratulations on a great find. Shot Shell magazines are not rare but not common. They make great display pieces.

If you are interested in Thompson Submachine Guns may I suggest you invest in two books: The Ultimate Thompson Book (TUTB) by Tracie Hill and American Thunder III (AT111) by Frank Iannamico. TUTB has all the information you need on your newly acquired Shot Shell magazine along with an in-depth history of the Thompson gun, especially the Colt era guns. AT111 covers the complete gambit too but is much more detailed with the World War II and later Thompson guns. Both are required reading and reference for any Thompson enthusiast. I also suggest you consider joining one or both Thompson organizations: The American Thompson Association (TATA) and The Thompson Collectors Association (TCA). If you research this Forum you will soon learn both organizations have yearly Shows & Shoots. It is these type events where you can actually see the guns and accessories pictured in the two books, above. The good news is the books and the dues are the cheapest part of being a Thompson enthusiast!

If you are interested in Thompson Submachine Guns may I suggest you invest in two books: The Ultimate Thompson Book (TUTB) by Tracie Hill and American Thunder III (AT111) by Frank Iannamico. TUTB has all the information you need on your newly acquired Shot Shell magazine along with an in-depth history of the Thompson gun, especially the Colt era guns.

Thanks for the information, looking for the books now!

• 2 weeks later...

i was the lucky purchase of the shot mag from Jason.....just wanted to thank him and let everyone know he is an honest person to deal with

the mag is beyond mint...it looks factory new w/o a blemish....probably 2x better than the pics......he gave me a very fair price and packaged it probably 4x better than anyone ive ever seen.....

Edited by huggytree

• 4 weeks later...

bought a .45 uzi kit.....im at the point with guns that i cant keep buying something new w/o selling something old........the wife wont let me spent $1k a week anymore....so i decided to sell the shot mag to cover the uzi kit.....even selling 1 of the spare uzi barrels too...

the mag is a very cool thing to own and if i dont meet my reserve ill still keep it.......but for me it sits oiled up in a paper towel in my basement to pull it out every 2-3 years to show someone vs a collector who may be able to display it in his gun room.....i got a good price on it here and basically i got it because no one else wanted it.......didnt purchase it to sell for profit on day 1...but a few weeks later that plan has changed

I could have warned you that a 45 unit in an Uzi is worthless. Low round count, hard on both the gun and shooter, mags are pricey and aftermarket ones rarely work. I fired 2 mags of 45 out of my Uzi when I had it and said it was enough. Why have a 45 kit for an Uzi when you have a Thompson?

22 round mags arent that low...thompsons are 20 rounds

many with the pro mag 22 rounds say they work...they are guaranteed, so ill send them back if they dont work....

i just bought a .22lr kit for my uzi also

i agree that i wont shoot it much in .45 or 22lr....but nice to find the kits for them......got lucky and found an actual IMI kit for the .45

The original 45 Uzi mags were 16 and that is where my comment is based on.

Good luck with your 22 kit as I had nothing but problems with mine. I had to recut the feed ramp on the barrel to get it to work. Also-only shoot copper plated 22's in it, NO plain lead as you can and will lead the barrel shut, couldn't fit a .17 caliber cleaning rod down the bore.

i will soak the barrel after use...i have 10,000 rounds UMC .22lr from 20 years ago to blow off....part of why im buying it.....i hear differing stories on the .22 kit...the seller admits to it not working better than 90% in his....if i cant shoot a mag w/o a jam ill sell...the price i got is fair and i can resell for the same price quickly...

just something to try....$475 shipped for the kit w/ 9 black dog mags, 4 spare extractors and some spare mag springs.....condition looks average

i have medium expectations on it.......i do have high expectations on the .45 kit though...