Need Value(s) Of Several Nice Thompson Accessories

Trying to ascertain values for several real nice Thompson accessories for an acquaintance. Told him I'd place this post on the one place that I knew I could get objective opinions on the true values from real learned folks.

Conditions as noted, no exaggerations either way.

So this is what he has:

(1) Thompson Spare Parts Tin complete with all parts - mint condition

(1) L Drum, New York serialized with instruction card between winder and drum - mint condition, card never removed.

(1) L Drum, New York no serial without instruction card - near mint condition

(1) L Drum, New York mismatched serials - excellent condition

(1) 1936 Operators manual, original not repro - mint condition

(1) Thompson catalog, original not repro, grey with Thompson name across front - mint condition

(1) Thompson catalog, original not repro, two tone - yellow & green - mint condition

(1) 1929 Thompson catalog, gun & cowboy, original not repro - good condition

(1) 1969 Reprint of Thompson catalog, gun & cowboy - good condition

(4) Double patent 20rd mags - excellent condition

(1) 18rd Shot Shell mag - excellent condition

(1) Full box of Peters Shot Shells - excellent condition, never opened

(1) USMC marked 1942 mustard colored 5 cell 20rd Mag case w/ 20rd patent mags, two of which still have the wire tags on top of mag (never removed or loaded) - excellent condition

(1) Stock, 1928 non cross bolt, parked - excellent condition

This fellow recently decided to sell his collection including a near mint 1921 and '28 Thompson. The accessories might be available but right now trying to determine fair market prices for them.

Emails are fine, I'm just going to pass them along.

Thanks to all the esteemed and advanced collectors that provide feedback.

/GP

When you do get a price nailed down ... please post again!

I am looking for a shotshell mag!

everybody has a relative a neighbor or a buddy who need's thompson price's............and some don't have a puter or net access....i have heard this tale a hundred time's...or they have something and not sure how much should i sell it for....most know it all already.just fishin and snoopin....and because a few here don't post a mouth watering appraisal on this stuff this very instant you get mad!!GIMME A BREAK!!

are you selling?/ buying??trading for item's........

it would be nice for once for some people to be honest and say here is the item and here is the price anybody want to buy it....instead of all this ya-da ya-da

or the twenty question posting's...yep i am the one who can give price's............but with thompson greed on the rise,do i really care to anymore??not really.

the best bet.....put a fair price on it.if you get twenty e-mail's to buy it.then you know it was fair............however don't anybody cry if it ever was sold too cheap!!everything is sold too cheap.just depends on what year it was sold in. wink!!

tell your buddy or friend or relative good luck in his sale...

and just because nobody here jumped.don't take offense to that....they are too busy counting cash...to see the next BIG DEAL!!

or busy with florida relative's...{like i am right now}best wishe's..have fun!!

and doe's W.T.F. mean what i think's...take care,ron

It means exactly what you think it means Ron. Geez man, just because "you're out of it" doesn't mean that you should come off like some old wretched disillusioned bitter person. You were in fact the very person I thought might add some useful information on the subject. I guess I was incorrect.

For the record, this is for an aquaintence of mine, not some close personal friend. He asked me because on a search of past sales on ebay and a quick look see on Subguns he could not make heads or tails on pricing, good-bad-or fair.

He recently posted his Thompsons at what I thought was a reasonable price and they sold almost immediately, a testament to his being what you described as fair. As for these items, he (and I for the most part) are unsure of what they command today.

And so that ya know, it wasn't instant gratification I was looking for. With the number of views and days that went by, I thought perhaps something was wrong for there not to be comments etc. 'Course with me not being a everyday name and regular on this board I figured I was getting a little "you're not in the clique" kind of stuff.

Read some of your posts over again Ron, they are a little edgy at times. Go on a vacation or something and get recharged. I'm sorry that prices are what they are today but for fellas now getting started and only in it for a fraction of your years, it is still fun. What a shame you can't see that.

GP

PS - Thanks for those that did email me. I've passed along your info to Barry and I'm sure he'll be contacting you indivdually and perhaps posting the rest to one of the sale boards.

QUOTE (GonePostal @ Oct 1 2004, 04:18 PM)
It means exactly what you think it means Ron. Geez man, just because "you're out of it" doesn't mean that you should come off like some old wretched disillusioned bitter person. You were in fact the very person I thought might add some useful information on the subject. I guess I was incorrect.

For the record, this is for an aquaintence of mine, not some close personal friend. He asked me because on a search of past sales on ebay and a quick look see on Subguns he could not make heads or tails on pricing, good-bad-or fair.

He recently posted his Thompsons at what I thought was a reasonable price and they sold almost immediately, a testament to his being what you described as fair. As for these items, he (and I for the most part) are unsure of what they command today.

And so that ya know, it wasn't instant gratification I was looking for. With the number of views and days that went by, I thought perhaps something was wrong for there not to be comments etc. 'Course with me not being a everyday name and regular on this board I figured I was getting a little "you're not in the clique" kind of stuff.

Read some of your posts over again Ron, they are a little edgy at times. Go on a vacation or something and get recharged. I'm sorry that prices are what they are today but for fellas now getting started and only in it for a fraction of your years, it is still fun. What a shame you can't see that.

GP

PS - Thanks for those that did email me. I've passed along your info to Barry and I'm sure he'll be contacting you indivdually and perhaps posting the rest to one of the sale boards.

i guess you missed the wink!! remember the movie earth girl's are easy??well tommy guys are easier!!

a nicer thompson guy you would not want to meet........i am sure some here will give you the inner {piece} you seek.............you must have not ever read all my posts i joke alot.....take care,ron

These are not official, but just a guess from what I can remember.

Also, pictures would help as I am unsure exactly what the item is.

Finally, since the ban sunset, I am certain what has happened to prices for original drums.

(1) Thompson Spare Parts Tin complete with all parts - mint condition (Not sure as I have not seen one for sale that is complete with all parts.)

(1) L Drum, New York - even though the ban have cut prices in half for the new drums, I really believe these are still collector pieces and maintain their value. As a result, I say each of the L Drums should fetch over $1K.

I would like to see pictures of these to ensure they are the items I have in mind.

(1) 1936 Operators manual, original not repro - mint condition

(1) Thompson catalog, original not repro, grey with Thompson name across front - mint condition

(1) Thompson catalog, original not repro, two tone - yellow & green - mint condition

(1) 1929 Thompson catalog, gun & cowboy, original not repro - good condition

Most reprints I have seen fetch between $5 and $15.

(1) 1969 Reprint of Thompson catalog, gun & cowboy - good condition

I sold my single patented 20 round mags (in almost mint condition) for $100 each.

(4) Double patent 20rd mags - excellent condition

Not sure on the next 2 items.

(1) 18rd Shot Shell mag - excellent condition

(1) Full box of Peters Shot Shells - excellent condition, never opened

I have seen the original 5 cell pouchs run between $50-$80

(1) USMC marked 1942 mustard colored 5 cell 20rd Mag case w/ 20rd patent mags, two of which still have the wire tags on top of mag (never removed or loaded) - excellent condition

Does this stock have all the metal or just the cross bolt?

(1) Stock, 1928 non cross bolt, parked - excellent condition

I would be interested in knowing more about the manuals.

Once again, these are not official prices. Also, one sure way to get people to give prices is have one person start. You can bet there will plenty of replies from people saying how wrong I am. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

1) Thompson Spare Parts Tin complete with all parts - mint condition $1500-$2500?

(1) L Drum, New York serialized with instruction card between winder and drum - mint condition, card never removed. $3000-$3500

(1) L Drum, New York no serial without instruction card - near mint condition $1500-$2000 (If this is a Colt "NO" or no "NO")

(1) L Drum, New York mismatched serials - excellent condition $2500-$3000

(4) Double patent 20rd mags - excellent condition $85-$100

(1) 18rd Shot Shell mag - excellent condition $500-$600

1) Full box of Peters Shot Shells - excellent condition, never opened ...Depends on which edition.

The catalogs and other periodicals are pretty much whatever you can get.

Arthur

Don Hall sold an empty original sparts parts box for $4,500 in August of this year.

Condition was excellent and it sold in less than 10 minutes.

No collector would sell their original spare parts box with all parts in mint condition for $1,500-$2,000.

The rest of the prices you suggest, you and I are pretty close to each other.

michael

QUOTE (Sig @ Oct 2 2004, 03:26 PM)
Arthur
Don Hall sold an empty original sparts parts box for $4,500 in August of this year.
Condition was excellent and it sold in less than 10 minutes.
No collector would sell their original spare parts box with all parts in mint condition for $1,500-$2,000.
The rest of the prices you suggest, you and I are pretty close to each other.
michael

i know a dealer who has 6 mint complete one's..and is very upset that gordon made them...i then offered to buy one for $2,000.00 {since i did sell him two of them years ago}he told me NO WAY!! they are not for sale...hoarding for himself...

so i said thats okay...and bought a gordon's..and now have a nice new one with the goodies inside,for the great price of $400.00......and with the money i did not spend on some pricey c-drum and the parts kit original..

now i will be ready for the apocalypse..wink!!

take care,ron

There are subtle but visible differences between Gordon's box and an original.

Gordon took the time to show me. One day I am going to do a pictorial on the differences if I ever get off my lazy ass and I can get to my collection in storage maybe on a vacation visit since I live out of the country at the moment.

Regardless Gordon's box is very nice and I have one for display so I can keep my original locked up but Gordon's box is still a reproduction regardless. Nice to have and a lot cheaper but of no collector value.

QUOTE (Sig @ Oct 2 2004, 04:07 PM)
There are subtle but visible differences between Gordon's box and an original.
Gordon took the time to show me. One day I am going to do a pictorial on the differences if I ever get off my lazy ass and I can get to my collection in storage maybe on a vacation visit since I live out of the country at the moment.
Regardless Gordon's box is very nice and I have one for display so I can keep my original locked up but Gordon's box is still a reproduction regardless. Nice to have and a lot cheaper but of no collector value.

yes it is nice to have a {original}however lately with prices some collector's don't care.and the way i see things going in twenty years,everything will be duplicated...thompson wise..not too many things you can name anymore that has not been made up........i am expecting next to see patent date mags made...since you can make 20 rd mags again.and since they are working on drum's........the L&C,and slings and pouches and all types of cases.........we will start a new collector "market" replica's only market...

they have done it with the german and japanese stuff..the thompson stuff is not too far behind.......heck check out the bogus fine art today,and duplicate's and forgerie's.its all out there..including car's...

parts, markings, repaint restore.it's a collector's nightmare!! that is maybe why i stayed out of luger's and hi-power's over the years...and sniper rifle's....today a real problem area..

ten years from now the net will say a "gordon box"whazz that!!$$$$$$wink!!

take care,ron