Deals And Steals

I've noticed whenever someone asks, how much should I pay for a G.I. M1A1, often the response is 10K and below. Where do you find these deals. I can only find the ones listed online at around 13K and above.

Unless you know of a vet who brought one back from WWII, who is smitten with your personality, (and has wrtitten all his relatives out of his will), you will probably not stumble across a decent M1/ M1A1 below $10K since they seem to be selling for as much as $15K. There is a possibility you could negotiate down from $13K to $11.5K/$12K, but I doubt they are going to drop their pants 1/4 of their original price.

My advice is to keep very close watch of bowers board and sturmgewehr. These seem to be the two main boards for NFA. Make everyone an offer that posts...i doubt you will get one below 10k or 12k though. Second suggestion is to comb gun shows and local newspaper ads. Talk to veterans and try to learn as much about life as you possibly can...also what better way to learn about history than from someone who has experienced it?!?

I had the pleasure of meeting a WW2 veteran about 6 months ago at a local gun show. I was standing at the door talking to the cop, he walked up and asked if there were class 3 dealers at the show...i asked what he was selling, it was an MP5. He built a new house and needed money so he sold it to me! While i was at his house doing paperwork i noticed the Thompson and M-2 carbine in his safe...i asked about them...and got the FULL story! I kept in reguler contact with him, and one day out of the blue he asked if i wanted the guns both for 10k...the rest is history (both amnesty registered...carried by him in the pacific theatre about mid 1943)

Befriend vets

The other thing to remember is what the person is asking and whatit will sell for are to totally different animals! Someone may want $13k-$15k for a gun but in a month or two it is in the $9-$10k range. Asking and getting are two different things. Plus it don't hurt to start low and meet somewhere in the middle.

Guys--That sounds like some good advice. Sounds like the best deals are ones found before they are advertised. Let me ask another question, while we are on the subject of the cheaper GI Thompsons. Have any of you ever bought a repaired or rewatted receiver? I wonder what your experience was like with them. In the past, I've seen cheaper Thompsons, having repaired receivers. I know it depends on who did the work, but in general, do you think it is better to just stay away from those?

Ralph, you answered your own question; it depends on who did the work and on what they had to work with to begin with.

In general; nothing rewatted is as good as previously undamaged goods. But, a proper rewat can be just as good functionally and last a long time indeed.

Partly a comment on the rewats and partly a plug for PK:

My 28 is a ... rewat. There, I said it. Part of the 12 step program.

It had been cut through the right side of the receiver and a little damage to the lower. Additioinally, there was some damage done to the actual chamber area that I never realized until repaired.

When purchased it ran but not well. Don't really think it was directly related to the first rewat process but non-the-less, out to PK she goes. Paul did a great job of assessing the problems and we agreed upon the best course of action. Paul pretty much cut out all the bad crap in the receiver, replaced with new metal, re-milled the blish lock slots, fixed the chamber/headspace issues as well as the lower problems and had the whole thing refinished. (also, Paul re-milled the drum slots as the receiver had warpped slightly in the previous re-wat welding process)

RUNS LIKE A SCALDED DOG !!! One of the best guns I own.

Would I rather have a NOS gun? Sure. Is the gun I've got a keeper? ABSOLUTELY.

I have no problems with the gun and would buy another if funds permitted. Only catch ... send it to someone who knows how to put it back into proper condition.

My $.02