The Wait

I've been waiting patiently for my Savage papers. I just noticed that it has been over 4 months since my transfer tax check was cashed. Do you think it is too early to call and see what's up? The suspense is killing me.

My transfer took 89 days from went it went pending. Wouldn't hurt to call....

It couldn't hurt, IMHO. I'm convinced that it would have taken longer if I had not called the County Pistol Permit Office a few times to see about my pistol permit. The County Judge just signed my pistol permit. It took 18 months, because I committed the 'grave sin' or error of allowing my doctor to prescribe Prozac for me for depression in New York State! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif Regards, Walter

Nick, many a truth is spoken in jest, and I think you hit the bull's eye! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter

Thanks guys for the input. Now I'm a little concerned that they might have lost my papers, like they did with my SBR. At least they cashed the check this time. If something is wrong with the application, wouldn't you guess that they would have at least sent the stuff back by now? I'll give a call tomorrow and keep you posted.

I've got two transfers pending, and I called ATF the other day. Seems like a pretty routine request to them. The guy who answered the phone pulled up the info on his computer immediately.

With the first gun, a WH M1A1, the seller tells me he received a postcard acknowledging receipt of the papers on Aug. 18. My check cleared Aug. 20. I called a couple of weeks ago, and ATF said it went pending Sept. 24.

My check for the second gun, a WH 28, cleared my bank Sept. 3. It went pending Sept. 23 -- a day earlier than the M1A1! Go figure!

Somewhere on the Web within the last few months I saw a list of the ATF Examiners (there are only 5 or 6, as I recall) and their respective times to process forms. As I recall, all were about 90 days from the date the form went pending. Of course, vacations, personal business, sickness, and the like may affect a particular Examiner's time on a particular case.

At any rate, you may want to find the site (anybody know the URL?) and see if your Examiner is slow, fast, or average.

My Form 4 took right around 90 days from pending earlier this year.

Good Luck!

NFA info:

http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/FAQ/nfa...a_examiners.htm

Call, be polite, be humble ... EVEN THOUGH THESE PEOPLE WORK FOR YOU !!!! I've always found them to be fairly helpful if you don't push too hard. HTH

CJR

Just to give an update, I gave them a call today and they said it was pending. I asked about why it seems to be taking longer than usual and they said that they were running a little behind. I feel a lot better knowing that at least the paperwork is not lost.

My examiner is Dawn Henson. Looks like she has a decent rating, with turn around of about 3.5 months. Not too far off with mine. I'll just sit tight and try to think about something else.

My last SMG purchase, the Colt 1921 #389 took 3 days for the permit (that was 2 day delay because of the mail there and back) and it cost nothing. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif Sorry! wrong! I forgot the 40 cents for the stamp on the application form. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

"Eat ya heart out guys"!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Murray.

Ouch! Murray, that hurts. Ha! Actually, I'm glad there are countries who haven't destroyed all the old beauties and have allowed its good citizens to own them easily. You may have answered this before, but are you able to fire yours at approved places, or are there restictions that prevent this?

Full Auto,

I don't think I follow. Do they give out the name of the examiner when you call? (They didn't volunteer that info when I called.) I have heard that some guys get post cards acknowleding receipt of the application, but I haven't gotten any, and mine have been pending since late Sept.

Gunner:

Scrol down on the Triplebreak link above and see the reasoning. If company, i.e. ACME Sports, then it's an A. If transfering from an individual, Bill Wilson, then it's a W.

I call, give the ser# and the transferOR's name. Remember, it's still their gun until the transfer is approved so they may not give you any information unless the little box on the bottom of the form 4 is checked authorizing them to do so.

Have the person/company you're buying from call and check if the GS-4 in DC won't talk. Pending late Sept.? I'll bet it's another 30 days. I know, I hate it too.

HTH

Sgt,

There are Army and Air force ranges that have full auto shoots where you can take your guns along and of course we have pistol clubs.

The easiest thing however is our bureaucracy which is not tied down by various departments. Most fire-arms in private hands in our country are controlled by the Police department. Our Arms Act was written by Government with very close cooperation with hunting, shooting, collecting groups and thus we have sensible laws with a minimum of paper.

There are anti gun groups here that want change primarily because they base thier ideas on what they see on American television programs and films and seem to accept that what is perceived is the norm.

We also have a very strong anti gun lobby by the Quakers (American based) down here.

I loved reading the report about your recent Knob Creek shoot. The same activity is growing here but mainly with the "Black powder" boys and the mountain men and OUR civil war re-actment groups. (that is the New Zealand Wars of 1845-1868 that I am refering to)

Also a growing group of WW1 and WW2 reinactment groups complete with armed restored vehicles with 50 cal Brownings etc at most of the Air shows here. Air shows are very popular which is strange as the Kiwi is a flightless bird.

Kind wishes

Murray

There is no need to bother the examiner unless there appears to be a problem. Most would consider it “bad manners”. The receptionist has access to the database that will tell you the general status; just give them the serial number and your name. If your gun has been pending less that 4 months, be patient. At 5 months I’d want to talk to the examiner.

My $.02

I don't think it is an imposition on ATF to give them a call after 2 months to check the status of an application and see if, and when, it went into pending. Otherwise you may be prolonging the delay in your paperwork for something as silly as an incorrectly filled out form, missing paperwork, lost check, etc. ATF used to send you back a letter stating they received your application and who was assigned to it. Now they just assume you will stand on your head until two seasons change. The only way this process could take 4 months is if the paperwork was sent back to the transferer for corrections, or the FBI received a mass mailing of fingerprint cards from every airport screener in the nation.

If there was something wrong with the application, would that come up on the receptionists' screen, when they look up your serial number? They cashed my check on 6/10/03