Why did Thompson Auto Ordnance say “no steel case ammo”?

There is documentation stating that during WWII-in the event of an ammunition shortage for the front line, brass case ammurnion was to be held in reserve for units primarily issues Thompsons. For units primarily issues M3s or M3A1s they were to be issued the steel case ammunition.

Its correct that a heavy diet of steel case 45s can break the nose section of a Thompson bolt.

There is documentation stating that during WWII-in the event of an ammunition shortage for the front line, brass case ammurnion was to be held in reserve for units primarily issues Thompsons. For units primarily issues M3s or M3A1s they were to be issued the steel case ammunition.

Its correct that a heavy diet of steel case 45s can break the nose section of a Thompson bolt.

I dont recall that documentation. Where did you see it? I dont have my books handy at the moment.

I have some of the EC 43 steel cased ammo in my collection. I bought it in Hawaii many years ago as shooter ammo for my 1911, but never shot it.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I dont recall that documentation. Where did you see it? I dont have my books handy at the moment.

I have some of the EC 43 steel cased ammo in my collection. I bought it in Hawaii many years ago as shooter ammo for my 1911, but never shot it.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I remember as a kid that Dad has a lot of WW2 steel ammo that we would shoot in his old 1911. At least 50 percent of the cases split. And that was 45 years ago.

Just curious. I can neither confirm nor deny that some Wolf steel case ammo may have been ingested and digested and spat out by my Thompsons. If it did happen, the cases were pretty much chewed up and while the ammo was dirty, everything worked fine when I pressed the loud button.

When did Auto Ordnance make that statement?