M-1 Or M1a1

I am waiting for my new purchase and thought I'd ask a question, that is a matter of technicality. My new Savage Thompson is one of those m1a1 that had the a1 marking ground off, when the m1 bolt was installed. I assume this to be an original military refurbish. Should the gun now be called an M1 or should it still be referred to as a M1a1? I know, it's kind of splitting hairs, but I wondered how its nomenclature is handled in the collector's circles. Thanks.

Mine is the same way. I call mine a M1. It has the M1 bolt and the paperwork says M1. So, if it looks like a M1, it fires like a M1, it smells like a M1, and it's not shit, it must be a M1. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

No really, I would call it a M1.

Actually mine is xx'd out not ground out.

Sgt,

Never heard of an M1A1 that had the A1 ground off. Usually they just "X'd" A1 out by overstamping it. Sounds like if the A1 is actually ground off it may not have been done by a military arsenal refurbishing. Maybe a previous owner or dealer ground it off.

Anyway, whatever type of bolt was installed would dictate what you refer to it as. That is what the original designation M1 or M1A1 referred to.

Woops! I stand corrected. I could have sworn the designation was completely removed. Looking back at the old picture, it is obviously just crossed out. Mind is playing tricks with me again. Thanks for the comments, guys. They were helpful. http://home.comcast.net/~ralfdog/m1a1/rec3.jpg