Grease Gun held its honor.....Knob Creek National SubGun Match

The results are in from the spring National SubGun Match and I can say that my clunky old Grease Gun held its own this weekend. I took 1st, 3rd, and 4th in the divisions I competed with it in. My 1st place in the Open Bolt Iron Sight division was also the 2nd fastest run of the entire match, which consisted of 156 completed Match runs. The Open Bolt Optic class was a 4th with less than a 1 second spread between 2nd/3rd and between 3rd and 4th. The 3rd place in Unlimited (where people run drums and what not) I used 30 rd mags, my red dot, and came in 3rd overall. Not a bad showing for the old girl.

Congrats!

Are there other Grease Guns that you are competing against, or just mostly other MG's? I can't imagine there being a lot of Grease Guns being used in competition. But it sure sounds like you know how to use it.

John

John,

Congratulations, really great shooting.

I imagine that the MP5 shooters are in awe of what a person like yourself can do with a glob of scrap metal welded together.

If someone told me that this was the first time a Grease Gun artist took a first at KC , I would not be surprised.

You probably made history.

Nice work.

Jim C

I was the only person using an M3 in the match (with exception to my father) majority of the SMGs used are Uzis, and Sterlings.

Im not sure what the history is as far as M3s taking a top slot but Im betting its not in recent history. Best Ive done is 2nd the past few years with it but this is my first time being number 1.

I won Knob Creek with my M3 in Oct. of 2003 when it was in the classic catagory. Categories have changed since then. Back then, to win knob creek, one needed to single tap his way to the top. We have listened to competitors and match personnel and have developed courses that require full auto bursts to knock down heavy steel poppers and bonuses given for sweeping an array. Also top shooters know to often start low and sweep up in bursts to knock down closely placed plates. In short, if you single tap a Knob creek course these days, you wont be anywhere near the top. Humping 8-10 45 acp mags. does tend to slow a guy down initially but when it comes to heavy steel poppers, we make up for it by dropping them easier than 9mm. Edited by smkummer

Those mags did get heavy lol

It is interesting to watch guys single tap now and on the flip side the others who want to bullet hose the course. 9mm showed itself being little light in certain areas if the shooter did not pay attention to how a target was set

• 4 weeks later...

He made some very impressive runs. With some targets set to require multiple hits and hits high up in order to drop them, a .45 had some advantage over the 9mms. Still, it was an impressive display of how effective a subgun can be in the hands of an experienced operator.

The match was very challenging this time as the brilliant and talented course designer (me) ensured that different techniques were required on different stages in order to achieve a high score.

It was a WWI theme course that simulated attacking a trench line and defending against counter-attack.

I ran the course wearing my tin hat and with the bayonet mounted on my Sterling. I thought for certain that I deserved some style points!!