Unusual Version of FM 23-40

A good few weeks ago, I spotted a version of FM 23-40 on the internet, which omitted the references 'FM 23-40', and ‘War Department’ on the cover.

Basic Field Manual Cover.jpg

The manual was for sale in Australia, so I contacted the seller for more information and he furnished me a few more photos, of the first few pages, which again had slight differences from the pages in the other versions of FM 23-40 in my collection. The first page in the manual omits reference again to FM23-40, ‘War Department’, “prepared under direction of the chief of cavalry”, “US Govt. printing Office Washington 1942” etc.

Basic Field Manual 1st Page.jpg Basic Field Manual 2 1st Page.jpg

Page II, with reference to War Department and issuing authorities etc. is omitted completely.

Basic Field Manual II & III.jpg

Chapter 1, page 1 also omitted reference to FM 23-40 at the top right-hand side of the page, but there is still a reference to FM 23-40 on the page, “This Manual supersedes FM23-40 Aug 19 1940”.

Basic Field Manual Page 1.jpg Basic Field Manual 2 Page 1.jpg

So, I contacted the seller again asking if there were any references to who printed the manual in the rear of the manual, he replied having reviewed the manual, there was not. The manual still intrigued me, so I decided to buy it and have been waiting patiently for a few weeks for it to be delivered, so I could investigate further.

It arrived today and I noted that apart from one distinct difference, and those mentioned above, the wording in the manual is identical to the other ‘December 31, 1941’ dated manual in my collection. However, the other distinct difference confirmed my suspicions that this was a manual prepared for or by the Australian armed forces. All the photos featuring soldiers in the manual have been replaced with what appear to be soldiers in British / Commonwealth uniform, which appears to be the uniform used during the North African campaign. See examples of Pages 23 & 24 from both manuals, below.

Basic Field Manual Pages 24&25.jpg Basic Field Manual 2 Pages 24&25.jpg

So, I was wondering if anyone out there also has an example of this version of FM 23-40, surely it cannot be the only one?

Basic Field Manual 1.jpg Basic Field Manual 2.jpg

Basic Field Manual 3.jpg Basic Field Manual 4.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps
  • Upvote 1

Nice find Richard.

Next to Dalbert you are the Thompson paper guru my friend

You are too kind! I have David and Michael Sigillito to thank for providing the initial knowledge on the subject through their book 'Thompson Manuals, Catalogs, and other Paper Items', and many members on this forum for helping me find some of the harder to find manuals and catalogs that are now in my collection.

Stay safe

Richard