MP40: No Manufacturer Stamp

Hi all,

I was checking out a private exhibition of guns, and I noticed a MP40. The usual markings (model name, year of manufacture, serial number) were present, but not the manufacturer code! There was the empty space for it, but nothing was stamped. Anybody knows what the heck is wrong with that MP40?

MEERKOOS

what year was the gun stamped. I have seen a huge variation in how MP40's were stamped when they have the 43 for the year. I think (my opinion here) that things were getting a bit tight by that time in Germany and quantity out to the field over-rode everything else at that point and you started to see some huge (what we would call) "discrepancies" in the markings.

1. Please post photos.

2. Manufacture of the ORIGINAL MP40 will be on the front end of the receiver (usually) as well as who the receiver tube manufacturer was (usually)

3. Manufacture of the trigger housing / lower receiver assembly (if matching to the original receiver!) will have the year of production and who manufactured the trigger housing / lower receiver assembly AND who the complete MP40 assembly was.

4. If the trigger housing / lower receiver assembly is mis-matched to the receiver then it is a replacement.

5. Trigger housing / lower receiver assemblies that are lacking in manufacturer codes (bnz, 660, ayf, 122, fxo, 27) are then assumed to be a depot / field repair spare replacement.

Thanks Rich. Ulrich! Unfortunately, the owner prohibited photos for privacy reasons. I might be able to see it again this month. Also, he needs some tips for disassembly. How far can you disassemble a MP40 without having to disturb staking/riveting?

Field disassembly never requires disturbance of hard connections. Remove mag. Make sure there is no round in the chamber. Bolt forward in battery. Pull out the knurled knob at the front of the forestock and twist so it protrudes and stays there. This retracts the boss attached to the knob from the hole in the bottom of the tube. While pulling the trigger to lower sear to below the cutout in bottom of tube, rotate the receiver clockwise to disengage the bayonet fitting on the end of the tube from inside the rear end cap and pull forward. Sometimes they can be tight when rotating as well as pulling the tube out of the rear end cap.
  • Upvote 1

Well, OK, here's the rest that is not just field stripping. Removal of the complete barrel assembly from the receiver and removal of the crush washer and front sling loop; muzzle nut; grip panels; removal of the complete receiver assembly from the bakelite forestock. Anything else involves removal of pins, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

had an interesting mix

WaA44 stamps throughout all the parts

FXO 41 stamped on rear cap along with 5 digit serial with COS

5 digit serial (matching, full 5 digit, not 4 digit with letter) on receiver along with COS and 43 year stamp but not FXO

all parts other than receiver cap 5 digit and receiver tube 5 digit were a matching 4 digit serial # but did not match the 5 digit on receiver cap and tube

all these parts had matching WaA44 inspector stamps along with a different Wa stamp which was not on the tube or the receiver cap (don't remember what it was)

if anyone claims there are hard and fast rules to this, well, I would question that

Edited by geefal