MG1 Top Cover Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dehavilland

Dehavilland

• Regular Group
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:04 PM

I am trying to make a M53 look more MG42 like.  The M53 top cover has the big Yugo crest on it.  Since finding a real MG42 top cover has proven to be impossible, can anyone tell me if an available MG1 top cover is compatible to be mated to a M53?  Will all the top cover internals switch over no problem?  Externally, do they look the same?  Thanks for your input.

#2 maxfaxdude

maxfaxdude

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:All stuff NFA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:33 PM

Plenty of genuine WW2 MG42 top covers can be found on GB and at gunshows. 

#3 Dehavilland

Dehavilland

• Regular Group
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 11:47 AM

Correct you are sir.  However, I would like to avoid those much higher costs.  If a MG1 cover will give me the "look" of an MG42, I can be satisfied.  So, my original question remains - Will the MG1 top cover form and fit on a M53 with the M53 top covers internals installed on the MG1 top cover?  Thanks

#4 Ryo

Ryo

• Regular Group
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:56 PM

I wouldn't know.. but I know there are 2 experts on Sturmgewehr.com's forum that might be able to tell you.

Definitely the prices on GB is nuts..  

I would keep a eye out.. I know one FFL dealer sold $20k worth of parts for the MG34/MG42 to a big dealer 2 weeks. I don't know which dealer he sold it to.. but some of the stuff was mint condition (ie complete bolt assemblies that never seen the inside of the firearm). I just wish I caught him before he sold since there are minor parts I really need to find, (ie replacement MG34 top cover latch screw)