Range Report - Feed Issues!

Just got home from the range and I'm not a happy camper! :angry2:

I fired 30 rounds of Remington factory 230 grain FMJ and 30 rounds of Federal factory 230 grain FMJ, all from the factory 30 round stick magazine. No reloads. All rounds were brass cased.

Accuracy was surprisingly good from the fixed sight at 25 yards.

However, out of the 60 rounds fired, I experienced approximately 50 failures to chamber with only one (1) failure to extract.

All other empty cases ejected properly.

What the heck is going on here?

Could the bolt be NOT cycling fully?

Could the feed ramp be too rough?

I've recreated the FTFs in the attached photo.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

post-261958-0-31310500-1547078729_thumb.jpg

Most of the feed issues with these guns are from the magazines ... Height of the magazine is critical, and most altered magazines are not drilled out all that accurately. This is why I prefer to alter my magazines myself. Additionally, the feed lips are usually out of spec ... Semi Thompsons are very finicky. The feed ramps have all the smoothness of a piece of pumice ... They usually do need to be polished. You would do well to stake your extractor if not one of the pinned ones ... The FTF's tend to pop the extractors out and they can jam back into the bolt and be a real pain to remove.

On the upside, if you stick with it you can make your gun run properly and be fun to shoot ... Mine took extensive work, but today I would wager $10 that I can run a mag through it without a FTF ... Um ... Let's make that $5

Keep us posted and good luck.

You also want to make sure that your bolt and interior surfaces are smoothed out and lubed. I use a light coating of lithium grease and oil. Also, get rid of those d......d heavy springs. I have been using the EZ Pull springs for two years now with no problems. Personally, I think that they give the bolt, firing pin, and extractor a lot less abuse too. Less hammering. My humble opinion. I also reload too, so I load just heavy enough to cycle the bolt and get good accuracy. Less wear and tear.

don't get discouraged, its probably the feed lips on the mag. I think they make them tight from the factory on purpose. I opened mine up a bit at a time until it started feeding properly. theres several article in here about how to adjust them. my new tm1 did the same thing, then I tweaked the lips on the mag a bit at a time and it runs great. I use the Winchester brown box ammo. 230grain. zero problems. ive also had the mag catch on both mine modified to accept the original GI mags. I fired my 28 a couple weeks ago 400 rounds ,zero issues.

Did you open the gun up and wipe and lube everything when you go it? If its dry or gritty, that could cause the bolt to not cycle back fully. I got more than a few of the stick mags direct from AO. Some of them have surface rust inside from sitting around. One of them was bad enough that the follower would stick and not push the rounds up fast enough. I opened up all the mags and cleaned them out and lubed them up.

Does it fail to feed if you manually pull the bolt back all the way and let it fly home?

Mine runs much better on the full auto replacement barrel .bigger chamber at the bolt end by a few thou

Like almost perfect.

That little fat 45 likes a lot of wiggle room on it's way in the chamber

Edited by 95mustang

When I went in to Kahr's sales facility - the Tommy Gun Warehouse - to order my M1SB, I grabbed an extra magazine off the rack. After finishing the paperwork, the salesman took the magazine out of the packaging and gave it to their armorer to go over. He told me that they do that with every magazine they sell at the store before it goes out of the wareouse.