M1921 To M1928 Conversion

When Auto Ordnance received an order for a M1928, they would substitue the buffer, buffer pilot and recoil spring from a M1921. At first they modified the M1921 actuator and later the M1928 actuators were machined.

Anyone ever wonder what ever happened to the thousands of M1921 buffers, pilots, recoil springs and at least a few M1921 actuators that were removed when this conversion took place?

Anyone have information on where these parts went?

Hard to say what happened to the actuators but Numerich Arms had quite a few of the original pilots, buffers and main springs from model 21s in the 60s. They were selling them as late as the early 80s.

Most of the "untouched" overstamps I found in PDs over the last 30 years had 2 piece riveted 21 actuators. The solid 1 piece 1930s Navy actuators are hard to find.

1921A

Wow! That is what I expected. Then there should be a lot of these parts out there somewhere.

From the small exposure that I have had with M1928Ns (mainly reading books), I thought that the one-piece actuators were more prevalent than the two piece. Have you ever seen any of the two piece actuators for sale?

Moor,

In the late seventies, I talked with Curtis Earl about purchasing one of these two piece actuators and he was quite high, as usual, with his price. In the last 14 years of going to the TCA show there may have been two for sale. I said “may have” because the potential sellers really weren’t trying to sell them but possibly could have been convinced. Not a part you see too often.