Just Received My First Thompson !

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 iamjosh12

iamjosh12

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:18 PM

Just received my 1927 A1 converted Thompson. Excited to share photos of this unique gun. Thank you Melvin for helping me with the purchase. I have some questions about magazines and drum operation but other than that I couldnt be more excited to join the club.

Wait time for form 4 was 77 days.

Edited by iamjosh12, 04 October 2019 - 01:20 PM.

#2 iamjosh12

iamjosh12

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:24 PM

Photos

Attached Files

#3 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1675 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

Congrats there on the acquisition 

#4 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4828 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:05 PM

Congratulations!  

Was it really 77 days for the F4 approval?   I have not had a transfer go that quickly since the late 1980's.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#5 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1085 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

Congratulations and enjoy many safe shooting times.

At only 77 days for a Form 4 to go through, it may be time to get another NFA item or two.  Thanks for sharing.

Be well.

#6 Vettom

Vettom

• Board Benefactor
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:TSMGs, guns, more guns and C3 Corvettes

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:55 AM

Congratulations

#7 thompsonteenager

thompsonteenager

• Regular Group
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:00 AM

Hey, i saw that on reddit. Nice colt

#8 2ndArmored

2ndArmored

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:40 AM

Huzzah!  (Hope you withheld celebratory gunfire in the store.)

#9 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:48 PM

Very nice!  Man, 77 days!?  My transfer from May is still "pending."  :huh:

#10 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

• Regular Group
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:50 PM

See the last posting here:

http://www.machinegu...c=21133&page=18

#11 iamjosh12

iamjosh12

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:10 AM

Photos of form 4. Sub 90 days is coming up everywhere.

Attached Files

#12 NFA amnesty

NFA amnesty

• Regular Group
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:48 PM

Photos of form 4. Sub 90 days is coming up everywhere.

Not me, 10 months on my last transfer and currently 4 months and waiting on my current transfer.  However very happy for folks who get approved under 90.  I was told by the admin person answering the phone for ATF that they are now averaging 9 months, so at least a month got knocked down.

Edited by NFA amnesty, 08 October 2019 - 06:52 PM.

#13 NFA amnesty

NFA amnesty

• Regular Group
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:51 PM

Just received my 1927 A1 converted Thompson. Excited to share photos of this unique gun. Thank you Melvin for helping me with the purchase. I have some questions about magazines and drum operation but other than that I couldnt be more excited to join the club.

Congrats on the purchase, very nice!!

#14 halftrack

halftrack

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

Out of curiosity, what conversion method was used for this particular Thompson? I noticed a 28 frame with the front milled...? I assume a bolt (M1 style) was machined down to fit the profile height of the semi -receiver? Or is this a full-auto; volume XX book conversion? In any case, it looks good.

#15 bradhe

bradhe

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:16 PM

If you look at NFATracker, it appears that many Form 4s to individuals have gotten down to 90 days while Form 4 to trust are still at 300+ days.  There may be a play to do a transfer to yourself as an individual and get possession then do another Form 4 to your trust.  I think that you have to pay two transfer taxes but I have been waiting almost a year on $100k worth of guns and would have happily paid twice to get them last spring.

#16 NFA amnesty

NFA amnesty

• Regular Group
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:32 PM

All my Form 4's are individual, not trust.  I had a stamp approved in about 3.5 months back in 2002 and more recently (2017/2018)  a 5 month approval on a Vepr 12 SBS.  

Awesome if a lot of folks are getting approvals under 90 days.  Hopefully the wait times are going down significantly but have a feeling my tax stamp will not get approved until I hit 8 to 9 months.

Edited by NFA amnesty, 08 October 2019 - 09:32 PM.

#17 iamjosh12

iamjosh12

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:02 AM

This was a bolt conversion. The receiver is registered but instead of altering any dimensions one the receiver, he milled the bolt down 1/4 down and made a custom buffer pilot in order to avoid drilling and welding the rear of the receiver. The advantage is no change to the receiver. The downside is that assembling it can be a bit difficult at times. It uses a 1928 bolt, but does use the blish lock systems. So it operates more like an M1 gun. The straight blow back also prevents issues that west hurleys have of misalignment. The gun has had about 500 rounds and no malfunctions. Extremely fast, probably 900 RPM but I prefer fast shooting guns :) If interested I can show how the conversion was done with some photos and videos.

#18 halftrack

halftrack

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 10:12 AM

This was a bolt conversion. The receiver is registered but instead of altering any dimensions one the receiver, he milled the bolt down 1/4 down and made a custom buffer pilot in order to avoid drilling and welding the rear of the receiver. The advantage is no change to the receiver. The downside is that assembling it can be a bit difficult at times. It uses a 1928 bolt, but does use the blish lock systems. So it operates more like an M1 gun. The straight blow back also prevents issues that west hurleys have of misalignment. The gun has had about 500 rounds and no malfunctions. Extremely fast, probably 900 RPM but I prefer fast shooting guns :) If interested I can show how the conversion was done with some photos and videos.

Would love to see some. Heard about it, but never saw one up close. Why does it run fast? Different springs?

#19 hntrdarren

hntrdarren

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:My family
    Collecting Colt Thompsons & Rare NFA Firearms
    Mountain Hunting
    Wildlife Habitat Improvement
    Gamekeeper

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:23 PM

Congratulations on your Thompson ! I have 2 Form 4 transfers in process waiting at 8 months.

#20 Vettom

Vettom

• Board Benefactor
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:TSMGs, guns, more guns and C3 Corvettes

Posted Yesterday, 06:14 AM

My 28 WH has the 21internals I can swap out to increase ROF I have not tried them yet. Next time to the range though I will. 😎 a new toy is alway a fun time congratulations on your 1st one.

Edited by Vettom, Yesterday, 06:15 AM.