Stuck Bolt On 1918a2

I'm new to the B.A.R.-owner crowd and I have a problem that I just encountered. My bolt is stuck forward and I can't retract it. I don't know if the problem is with the bolt, the cocking-handle or something else. It just seems like it's jammed and won't pull back. I don't want to force or pry anything for fear of inflicting further damage.

I have a Group Industries 1918A2, if that helps. I've removed the trigger group and looked down into the receiver but I can't see anything that would indicate what the problem is. Obviously, the gun will not function with this situation so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful for your help.

John http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

ratemaker@aol.com

I have no Idea what causes this, but I will look in my BAR book from Ballou and see if I can get an answer.

This board, I think, would relate to the 1919 full autos mostly, but I know you from the Thompson board and I will try my best to help you.

Or I will find the contact info for someone that can help you.

Take care and I will be in touch.

Jr

• 1 month later...
Check your gas tube and piston. When mine gets dirty the op rod gets real stiff. Be careful of the tube...they be gettin hard to git and the holes errode and tube pitting caused by corrision from the WWII ammo. The tube should come off without force when you remove the forward receiver pin and slide the grip assembly forward. HTH

• 2 weeks later...

This happened to me once but the bolt remained in the open position and I couldn't close it. I had put on a new rear sight and the screw was about 1/4 turn too long. You might try loosening the rear sight screw a turn or so and see if this helps.

Ken

I don't wan to make you feel bad but...the Group BAR receivers were heat treated following all machining...they did not stay in spec for dimensions....

The guys at Ohio Ordnance have fixed the vast majority of all transferable Group Industries BAR's. I know of one that Stan Andrewski did also and it fired like the real thing when he was done...

This could be the reason...

Maybe the bolt is wedged between the bolt rails that have tweaked. Get out a good caliper and check the width of the receiver along the bolt rail area...(where the rivets are flush half way up the receiver)...this might tell you good news or bad news....just about all the parts of the guns were military except the receiver so you should assume those pieces are ok.

sid c.

• 1 month later...

1. Field expedient to open the BAR (I also have a Group gun, which has done this to me):Remove magazine, Place butt on ground, put pressure on cocking handle, life gun and strike butt on ground. The inertia helps open the bolt.

2. On my gun, when the gas tube gets dirty, the bolt can jam in the closed position.

3. Allways clean the gas tube before storage.