28 Receiver

I bought a nice 28 parts kit last year(time to build it up), its all savage. I cannot make a semi in my state (no sbr). This question has been asked a thousand times however; Question 1 what is the best 80% around? Phila ord? They offer engraving for 50$,Question 2 would that be correct for savage ? I believe the kit came out of Russia, all parts are a flat black(seems like a dark park), Question 3 What would be correct finish: military blue or park? Thanks for your responses. Finally is a doug Richardson receiver as rare as dinosaur shit or what? Thanks... Danny

QUOTE (clintonlover @ Feb 5 2006, 05:26 AM)
Question 2 would that be correct for savage ? I believe the kit came out of Russia, all parts are a flat black(seems like a dark park), Question 3 What would be correct finish: military blue or park? 

I don't believe Philadelphia Ordnance receiver puts the Thompson bullet logo on the top, so that would be the only marking that wasn't correct.

The finish on the recent imported parts kits is the correct finish, it's a matte black oxide (blue) finish. So have your display receiver done in black oxide.

QUOTE (clintonlover @ Feb 5 2006, 03:14 PM)
LOL  Black oxide finish? Does phila ord offer such a finish?

Why don't you call them and find out. Do a liitle homework yourself, instaed of expecting everyone else to answer your questions for you.

QUOTE (gijive @ Feb 5 2006, 09:38 PM)
Why don't you call them and find out.  Do a liitle homework yourself, instaed of expecting everyone else to answer your questions for you.

What do you expect with a moniker like "ClintonLover"?

Clinton lover--

I checked with Phil Ord. many years ago and had a parkerized receiver made for a 28. At that time, I was told that they made both parked and blued finishes. You should definitely inquire and make sure it is similar to the original black oxide. Incidentally, I thought they did a pretty good job with my receiver.

Calibre--

Did you mean "Monica" instead of "Moniker?" Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.

I'm thinkin that's sourcasm... Or at least I hope it is....

Z,

It might be sarcasm if the guy knew anything about guns ... but that seems questionable.

Another questionable item would be ... should this guy even be allowed to own a gun with a "sense of humour" such as this.

TRG,

It's Cali-BRE not Cali-PER! Geez!

QUOTE (gijive @ Feb 5 2006, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (clintonlover @ Feb 5 2006, 03:14 PM)
LOL  Black oxide finish? Does phila ord offer such a finish?

Why don't you call them and find out. Do a liitle homework yourself, instaed of expecting everyone else to answer your questions for you.

Yeah thanks I did, hey I'm sorry I thought this was a forum where I could ask questions and more knowledgeable members such as yourself could enlighten me without going to much trouble; guess I was wrong. Well Gijive I am not trying to burden anyone with bullsh t questions, I thought maybe someone would know off hand, Thanks for your answers.

Edited by clintonlover

I'm thinkin that's sourcasm... Or at least I hope it is....

Z,

It might be sarcasm if the guy knew anything about guns ... but that seems questionable.

Another questionable item would be ... should this guy even be allowed to own a gun with a "sense of humour" such as this.

TRG,

It's Cali-BRE not Cali-PER! Geez!

6 posts since Feb 2004, wow your a wealth of knowledge caliber, coincidently my moniker does have a sarcastic element to it. You see caliber I love the Empire state(born and raised), currently however I am dissatisfied with my current representation in D.C.. My moniker is just my way of expressing my disdain, but you have outdone yourself with your name "caliber" wow, how novel , and that avatar of yours; you must have counted all three of your front teeth to come up with that one. Why not spend your next six posts helping others with questions or suggestions instead of picking on a member you have no knowledge of. I have only been a member far a short time , but I want to thank everyone who answered my questions and offered advice. I want to thank Frank and Nick for the privelidge of having this resource to reference and learn about thompsons.

Edited by clintonlover

Well Bob from Phila Ord got back to me today and informed me they only produce two finishes ; Military blue and Park which is slate grey in color. Has anyone refinished their own in black oxide? Is black oxide similiar to Park in regards to the basic steps(phosphoric acid). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Danny

QUOTE (gijive @ Feb 5 2006, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (clintonlover @ Feb 5 2006, 05:26 AM)
Question 2 would that be correct for savage ? I believe the kit came out of Russia, all parts are a flat black(seems like a dark park), Question 3 What would be correct finish: military blue or park? 

I don't believe Philadelphia Ordnance receiver puts the Thompson bullet logo on the top, so that would be the only marking that wasn't correct.

The finish on the recent imported parts kits is the correct finish, it's a matte black oxide (blue) finish. So have your display receiver done in black oxide.

Check out T&S Manufacturing, Southington ,CT. A photo on their website shows the Thompson logo they stamp on receivers. They are a manufacturer of 100% receivers but may do work on dummys too.

Ken

QUOTE (clintonlover @ Feb 13 2006, 06:23 PM)
Well Bob from Phila Ord got back to me today and informed me they only produce two finishes ; Military blue and Park which is slate grey in color.  Has anyone refinished their own  in black oxide? Is black oxide similiar to Park in regards to the basic steps(phosphoric acid). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Danny

Danny,

Military blue is black oxide. If you want your display gun to look as it originally came from the factory have the display receiver blued (black oxide). The bead-blasted finish on the receiver is what gives it the matte blue look which you are referring to as parkerizing. If your grip frame doesn't match, have it bead-blasted and blued (black oxide). Then the finish on the receiver and grip frame will be the same. Good luck on your project.

I have looked at the examples of Phila-Ord. receivers.....and would like to know your opinions on their engraving of both the 1928A1 and the M1 series 80% receivers vs. an "original" receiver's markings.

Is it anywhere close to an original?....or just so-so?

I know that "Doug-Richardson's" receivers are closests to originals.....but who else is making these (1928A1 and M1 series) where the "engraving" is 99.9% correct?

Sam does really good work over at T&S Manufacturing with his engraving of 1919 series BMGs..........has anyone looked at his "Thompson" work close?....or sent him a Phila-Ord. Receiver to engrave? I believe that he is only doing M1 series right now.....unless someone has heard about him doing 1928A1 ?

TIA, RichardS.

Edited by Blanksguy