Source for M1A1 Vertical Grip

I've been trying to find an original vertical grip as part of my quest to put original wood on my AO/Kahr. I've looked around - there one on Gunbroker but it has two extra holes drilled in the bottom. I also ordered one from Numrich but theirs are converted from 1928 grips - so you end up with a cut at the upper rear...and, the way they cut it, it has a 1/16" gap at the upper rear and the mounting screw hole isn't tapped deeply enough to allow the screw to seat more than a few threads so I returned it.

Anyone have a potential source?

. Many 1000's of M1928A1 grips were converted to M1/M1A1 grips during

WW2. Of course the 28 grip has the slot for the tang on the trigger frame

which gives it away. If you don't like being able to see the little gap at the back,

ok, but the grip is likely completely ofiginal and not a conversion by GPC. Back

in the say, at least in my experience the converted grip weres much more prevalent

and it was a "find" to run across one without the slot.

Bob

Tommygun Collectibles.com would probably have. I've bought a bunch of stuff from him and he is a pleasure to do business with.

Andrew

I've been emailing with Richard for months to find an original mag catch. He's responsive and promises to get back to me...and then I hear nothing. I haven't seen anything on his site.

. Many 1000's of M1928A1 grips were converted to M1/M1A1 grips during

WW2. Of course the 28 grip has the slot for the tang on the trigger frame

which gives it away. If you don't like being able to see the little gap at the back,

ok, but the grip is likely completely ofiginal and not a conversion by GPC. Back

in the say, at least in my experience the converted grip weres much more prevalent

and it was a "find" to run across one without the slot.

Bob

I'd be completely happy with a converted 28 - the one that I got from Numrich just didn't fit properly and I assume they are using a standard set-up so they will all have the same problems. Other sources?

Tommygun Collectibles.com would probably have. I've bought a bunch of stuff from him and he is a pleasure to do business with.

Andrew

I've been emailing with Richard for months to find an original mag catch. He's responsive and promises to get back to me...and then I hear nothing. I haven't seen anything on his site.

Yes, most of the time he does need some reminder emails, but otherwise absolutely no complaints.

Are you looking to sand and refinish? I have a bunch of them that are a little dark and beat-up.

Andrew

Andrew

Yes, most of the time he does need some reminder emails, but otherwise absolutely no complaints.

Are you looking to sand and refinish? I have a bunch of them that are a little dark and beat-up.

Andrew

Depending on the overall condition, I'm not against some sanding and refinishing - want to get the coloration close to my butt stock and horizontal grip. Just want to make sure it fits correctly.

I used to think that the M1/M1A1 grips that had slots were M1928A1 grips that had been modified by cutting, but when I set the grips next to each other I saw that that's not the case.

There's a M1928A1 grip on the left, an M1/M1A1 grip on the far right, and the hybrid grip in the center.

The M1928A1 style slot was not cut all the way, either on the front or the rear, on that middle grip, so it was never fully configured to fit a '28. I posted asking about this a few years ago and one of the theories was that it is a transitional style and that at the beginning of production the slot was needed to locate the grip in the through-hole drilling jig, and that later M1/M1A1 only jigs didn't need it.

http://www.fototime.com/CF1BB647F4227FC/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/B9DE8ADFBF55964/orig.jpg

Yep. You can see that the slot is only present on Savage grips. Strombeck (M) does not, that was always my guess that maybe it made shaping and drilling easier for Savage.

Andrew