Guidelamp M3 Joins The Stable

Just when I thought I had kicked the habit a C+R Brit proofed Guidelamp M3 pops up. It's nice, judging by the photos. It's black, 214,xxx serial #, crossed cannons stamp, "P" proof, and another mark that I can't make out (a crown, perhaps?) at roughly 3 o'clock of the front sight. 90% finish remains, honest wear, no dents or signs of abuse, a nice piece. Offered by an established and reputable RKI, there's no way this deal could be wrong. So I did it.

Guess I'll be driving the old Ford pickup one more year....

Way, way too much. 17k. I sold a nice MG a few months ago, the gain on that sale made it easier to buy this one. The M3 Greasegun has been on my "buy" list for several years. The time to buy was now.

From other conversations I learned that C+R M3's have been moving in the 16k range, but those that have been publicly available were in relatively rough condition. However, I haven't seen any M3's for sale in the public forums so I am not the best judge of current market conditions.

That this M3 came from a known good guy with a guarantee made the difference. Had it been offered by someone not well known I'd have been reluctant to jump in without vetting both the seller and the item being sold.

It's difficult to justify MG prices anymore. But they are what they are, and if you want something rare or in good condition you're gonna pay for it and you gotta jump fast because there's another guy looking for the same thing. I've been culling the herd, selling some items and buying others as my interests evolve.

I've been shooting a variety of 9mm smgs for years but prefer the power of the .45acp. I'm getting concerned about the mileage being put on my Colt 21AC and thought a greasegun would fit in nicely with all my other WWII era stuff.

Besides, it's fun to shoot, it's unusual, and it's far more interesting to me than a MAC, UZI, or MP5.

Tom

Well welcome to the pack of the few and far between. I love Thompsons but the M3 I have gets more attention than the drum dumper on the firing line. I fell into it for a song and while it doesn't have the black paint, it does sport the British crown markings that indicate it's been across the pond at some point in it's life. I currently have a FOIA request into the branch to learn whatever I can about it's history etc.

Here it is in it's full glory:

http://www.gone-postal.org/GonePostalM3.jpg

For obvious reasons I try and stay current on the value of these things and I'm astonished to see that the prices for the GGs have outpaced both the Thompson and most of the other C3 stuff I've watch with regularity. As evidence of this I submit your paying 17k and the recent sale of the 20K Guide Lamp M3A1 that was for sale on Subguns and Sturm. I checked with that seller and he confirmed it sold for asking price. I was and still am convinced of that specific gun being a reweld of something of the like since it was mint and marked M3A1 in the same font with what looked to be the stamp stamp that made the RIA mark on the gun. Oh well whichever, the buyer went into that with eyes wide open hopefully.

All this said, these were selling for 12K one 1 year ago so the percentage increase is a little higher than most other guns I've seen. Absolutely amazing.

Take care and have fun with that new greaser. Lemme know if you want my secret design as to how to suppress it without spending a fortune on those $700+ cans for it.

Gone Postal

November 2004 SAR, Kent Lomont's ad lists an "M3 Greasegun C&R" at $12,500. It is not listed in the December issue, so one can assume it sold. Then there's the rewelded, non C&R, "super rare" M3A1 RIA that sold for $20,000 this February, unsubstantiated reports of M3's selling in the $16k range, and my $17,000 C&R Lend Lease M3. It appears that C&R M3's rose 28%-36% since Lomont's November 2004 advertisement. Wow. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Perhaps I could have shaved a grand or two off the price of my M3, but I sincerely doubt it. IMO the dealer and the previous owner did their homework and priced it relative to the condition of other M3's that they had knowledge of. A little higher than the rest but not ridiculous. The last guy in the door usually pays a higher price of admission and I'm OK with that but my MG buddies are going to give me hard time for sure. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

I'd be happy to post a pic but can't figure out how. I'll send one via email if you'd like to see. PM me with an email addy.

And yes, thank you, I would like to put a can on this M3. Your design would be appreciated.

Tom

FOIA request can provide infomation on when the gun was originally registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Records (NFRTR) by the Treasury Dept. This is helpful as most guns no longer retain any documentation, especially as it relates to any amnesty registration. As I understand it, often you'll get an idea of when transfers took place but names etc are blacked out. Not a whole lot of info but some critical dates if you're looking for them.

As for the suppressor design, clearly you can go out and buy one of the cans designed specifically for the M3 but they are heavy, very long and very expensive. I had purchased a two stage Sionics MAC-10 can that I was not using for the MAC I have since I purchased a much more modern CAC45 suppressor for it. That said, I had a Class 2 armorer take off the original rear end cap and destroy it as regs require having only one end cap for the suppressor. Then had him take a spare GG bbl assembly, cut down the bbl and thread it to fit the internal "mid mount" in the MAC can and machine the GG bbl collar to flush fit against the end of the larger stage of the MAC can. This done, it screws onto the GG like any other bbl except in this case, it's a suppressor bbl. Requires a spare bbl and MAC can but overall it's a lot quieter (as most wipe based cans are) and cheaper and shorter. Looks very cool. See pic below of friend shooting it at past Camden TN shoot.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/255789.jpg

Hope that answers the questions.

GP

• 6 months later...