Richardson Receiver

Does anyone have a doug richardson 1928a1 display receiver they want to sell? Send me a pic and price. Thank you

Mike

Don't know of any DR receivers for sale but I think reconbob at Phily Ord has some available. He makes an excellent all steel 80% receiver.

A board member (Z3bigdaddy) is selling this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Doug-Richardson-Colt-T...1QQcmdZViewItem

There is a thread about this item being for sale, you can search for it, but I suggest you contact him and go from there!

Thanks for the replys. I know about Phila Ord receivers. They are ok receivers, but I really want a DR receiver, BUT, not so bad as to pay what Z3Bigdaddy wants. Whew! I wish DR would just hire some help to catch up his receiver orders, it's getting ridiculous the amount of time people have been waiting. I'v been waiting 2 years, but I guess some have been waiting longer. I know 5 other guys who are also waiting, but they are about to tell doug to cancell their orders. Actually, their words were a little more choice than that, but I can't relay those words, or I will get another warning from site owner.

Thanks for the replys. I know about Phila Ord receivers. They are ok receivers, but I really want a DR receiver, BUT, not so bad as to pay what Z3Bigdaddy wants. Whew! I wish DR would just hire some help to catch up his receiver orders, it's getting ridiculous the amount of time people have been waiting. I'v been waiting 2 years, but I guess some have been waiting longer. I know 5 other guys who are also waiting, but they are about to tell doug to cancell their orders. Actually, their words were a little more choice than that, but I can't relay those words, or I will get another warning from site owner.

Never can tell Z3BD might take... Maybe he has to pay taxes or alimony or sumptin... :rolleyes: Just don't offer like 10 bucks over current retail. :ph34r:

Never can tell Z3BD might take... Maybe he has to pay taxes or alimony or sumptin... :rolleyes: Just don't offer like 10 bucks over current retail. :ph34r:

Hmmmm. hows about $15 over? Well, on a more serious note, PM sent..

I'v been searching for this thread that talks about Z3BD's Richardson receiver, but cannot find it. Can anybody give me a hint about who the first author is? I should be able to find it then.

I can't find the thread either, actually it was only a couple of comments in a thread that weren't relevant to the receiver.

Edited by FireMerc

I'v been searching for this thread that talks about Z3BD's Richardson receiver, but cannot find it. Can anybody give me a hint about who the first author is? I should be able to find it then.

I can't find the thread either, actually it was only a couple of comments in a thread that weren't relevant to the receiver.

Not that it helps... Just me being belittled by Arty again.... Z3BD bashing...

BTW Do not PM me if you really need to get my attention as I don't normally log in here to see them... My email addy is submachinegunner@gmail.com

Thanks

Your comment that BidD would"profit from a wise investment" was somewhat relevant in that it proved to be premature in its optimisim.

Edited by Arthur Fliegenheimer

Not that it helps... Just me being belittled by Arty again.... Z3BD bashing...

BTW Do not PM me if you really need to get my attention as I don't normally log in here to see them... My email addy is submachinegunner@gmail.com

Thanks

Didn't you get over 400 hits on your DR receiver ebay auction and the highest bid was around $300? What is the "Best Offer" you received in your subsequent auction that is still going on?

I indeed questioned your description that this receiver has historical significance that substantiates your reserve figure. Are you blaming me for the tepid bidding?

Your comment that BidD would"profit from a wise investment" was somewhat relevant in that it proved to be premature in its optimisim.

This was my original comment on that thread:

"Z3, how dare you try to sell an item that you value for what you think it is worth. Apparently these sold for $400 ten years ago what gives you the right to ask anymore for it today (even if this one is a rare version and a current model may take a few years to acquire). Surly you don't pay anymore for any other items eg; cars, house, utilities, food, etc. than you did a decade ago due to inflation, and we certainly do not live in a Capitalist society where anyone should ever profit from a wise investment, no sir. To put an item in an auction and to have people bidding against each other how barbaric, have you no soul. :ph34r: :lol: :lol: "

Arthur you took my statement out of context. I didn't make a judgment as to what the receiver in question was worth or what it would sell for. My only point was simply we live in and have fought for the Capitalist society we have. In order for this society to work we all have to have a profit margin, from the work we do to the investments we make. If profits are not made not only would individuals not have the financial resources to survive, but there would not be any taxes collected on those profits and the government would fail.

I have watched over the last couple of years and Z3 is one of the most generous members on this board. On numerous occasions a new member here would ask if someone had this or that and Z3 would mail it to them only asking that a donation be made to the board. I think it is silly to comment on anyone's posted prices, the free market will take care of itself. I just thought it was especially rude that Z3 would be ridiculed for his auction especially since he was not even the one who posted his item to this board. I originally posted it the same as I post other Thompson related items that I think board members may be interested in but have not seen.

Edited by FireMerc

This was my original comment on that thread:

"Z3, how dare you try to sell an item that you value for what you think it is worth. Apparently these sold for $400 ten years ago what gives you the right to ask anymore for it today (even if this one is a rare version and a current model may take a few years to acquire). Surly you don't pay anymore for any other items eg; cars, house, utilities, food, etc. than you did a decade ago due to inflation, and we certainly do not live in a Capitalist society where anyone should ever profit from a wise investment, no sir. To put an item in an auction and to have people bidding against each other how barbaric, have you no soul. :ph34r: :lol: :lol: "

Arthur you took my statement out of context. I didn't make a judgment as to what the receiver in question was worth or what it would sell for. My only point was simply we live in and have fought for the Capitalist society we have. In order for this society to work we all have to have a profit margin, from the work we do to the investments we make. If profits are not made not only would individuals not have the financial resources to survive, but there would not be any taxes collected on those profits and the government would fail.

I have watched over the last couple of years and Z3 is one of the most generous members on this board. On numerous occasions a new member here would ask if someone had this or that and Z3 would mail it to them only asking that a donation be made to the board. I think it is silly to comment on anyone's posted prices, the free market will take care of itself. I just thought it was especially rude that Z3 would be ridiculed for his auction especially since he was not even the one who posted his item to this board. I originally posted it the same as I post other Thompson related items that I think board members may be interested in but have not seen.

Honest evaluations are what is expected (at least that is what I expect) on this board, no matter who is the owner of the TSMG item being evaluated. Price opinions have been posted on this board since its inception. Surely this didn't escape your attention during the last couple of years you have been here? If my persiflage comment could be construed as a condemnation of the American system of capitalism, then we have certainly wandered into the theater of the absurd.

How do you know that buying this DR receiver was a "wise" purchase for "investment" purposes? How do you know Bid D even purchased it on the speculation it would increase in value?

It seems I was even generous in estimating the value at $400 when the bidding crested at $300.

America is full of ex-home owners who were sure they were making a "wise investment" that would turn a profit.

Honest evaluations are what is expected (at least that is what I expect) on this board, no matter who is the owner of the TSMG item being evaluated. Hey if Z3 is stating that it is a Richardson and you have evidence that it is a Kahr, if he states the finish is original and you have proof that it has been refinished, please bring it to our attention. Price opinions have been posted on this board since its inception. Surely this didn't escape your attention during the last couple of years you have been here? Nope, and for the most part I have felt they have always been pretty silly...price is a judgment call, if one of the SVDM guns were advertised for sale for $20,000 most of us would run to the bank...while most 'normal' people in society would think we needed professional help. It is a judgment call, however it is up to each individual what the value is. If my persiflage comment could be construed as a condemnation of the American system of capitalism, then we have certainly wandered into the theater of the absurd. We haven't wandered anywhere, but you made several ridiculing remarks in the same thread only in regards to the price and here you are back at it again.

How do you know that buying this DR receiver was a "wise" purchase for "investment" purposes? How do you know Bid D even purchased it on the speculation it would increase in value? I don't, and whether he did or he simply holds it in high regard is irrelevant, appearently that is what he feels it is worth and he has that right.

It seems I was even generous in estimating the value at $400 when the bidding crested at $300.

America is full of ex-home owners who were sure they were making a "wise investment" that would turn a profit. That is kinda what we do here...there isn't anyone here who owns a $15K+ toy that did not take chances and work hard unless their money was just handed to them.

Edited by FireMerc

Firemerc,

When BigD gilded the Lilly about the DR prototype having historical significance, he might want to substantiate just how this is so in his ad.

I'm not sure I understand your SVD TSMG analogy. It would depend where it was advertised in order for the "normal" people to make your assertion regarding mental instability. If it were advertised here, no such reaction would be forthcoming. It if were advertised in Mother Jones magazine, then you would be correct.

If BigD held the DR prototype in high regard and imagined it was priceless to him, we would not be discussing the topic. When he placed a dollar amount on it on eby, that's when it became fair game for opinions on its value. How does this interfere with the free market system?

Taking a chance on a "toy's" future value is entirely different from taking a chance on the future value of a domicile that is your only shelter.

But I do appreciate you delineating what you feel constitutes legitimate criticism, or analysis, by machinegunboard members.

Firemerc,

When BigD gilded the Lilly about the DR prototype having historical significance, he might want to substantiate just how this is so in his ad.

I'm not sure I understand your SVD TSMG analogy. It would depend where it was advertised in order for the "normal" people to make your assertion regarding mental instability. If it were advertised here, no such reaction would be forthcoming. It if were advertised in Mother Jones magazine, then you would be correct.

If BigD held the DR prototype in high regard and imagined it was priceless to him, we would not be discussing the topic. When he placed a dollar amount on it on eby, that's when it became fair game for opinions on its value. How does this interfere with the free market system?

Taking a chance on a "toy's" future value is entirely different from taking a chance on the future value of a domicile that is your only shelter.

But I do appreciate you delineating what you feel constitutes legitimate criticism, or analysis, by machinegunboard members.

I as you love to debate...however for the most part I'm going to leave this one alone as this thread like a couple of others though fun is not up to the caliber of this board.

In your last line your making it seem like my opinion's expressed in this discussion extend to others on this board, they don't. But your ridicule of Z3's pricing does not have anything to do with this receiver, you have had a long feud with him and even though he has gone out of his way to let sleeping dogs lie you have to continue to pick at the scab.

Thanks for the banter,

Edited by FireMerc

Firemerc,

I as you love to debate...however for the most part I'm going to leave this one alone as this thread like a couple of others though fun is not up to the caliber of this board.

In your last line your making it seem like my opinion's expressed in this discussion extend to others on this board, they don't. But your ridicule of Z3's pricing does not have anything to do with this receiver, you have had a long feud with him and even though he has gone out of his way to let sleeping dogs lie you have to continue to pick at the scab.

Thanks for the banter,

What "feud" is this, exactly? I imagine if anyone could take offense to my appraisal of the prototype receiver value it would be DR himself.

You mean I am the exclusive target for your nasal appraisal? Even if my polemics are not up to what your perceive to be the proper board decorum, I am flattered by your solicitude.

First thank you FM for havin my back...

On to the point at hand.... I don't even belong to the Lilly Guild so I don't know what Arty speaks of, "gilded the Lilly ", on this subject. I did point out that this receiver does have significance as a prototype built "by hand" with paperwork from DR hisself to prove it. I guess the analogy best to cover this would be Randall Made Knives... You can still order a #1 Randall fighter for around $300 bucks but try to buy one for that price now. If you are not willing to wait the five years for your order at retail, you will have to pay a big premium to own that knife today, as apposed to five years from now. Same with DR's receivers that everyone here seem to be in love with.... Doug is not always easy to get along with and he is way behind all the time so if you want a receiver now, you most likely will have to pay a premium to someone who did the waiting for you. Now back to Randall Made Knives for the second point.... What do you think you would have to pay for one of the first nine knives made by Bo Randall? Think there might be a bit of a premium? I know the RR has no value to someone of Art's high calibre but some of us have to deal in the non top self things of life. Art is correct that no one has stepped up to my big price although many have offered to meet me half way. Doug on the phone gave me the ole, "wait until I'm dead and it may be worth something", advice. He's to dang mean to be leaving too soon so I guess it may just have to sit in my safe for a while.

BigD,

The current New York Times stylebook calls ''gild the lily" ''an accepted phrase for overembellishment,."

I am well aware of Randall knives being offered on ebay at many times the price they can be ordered from the knife company, but with a substantial waiting period. As for vintage Randall's, somebody even paid $27K for the 1955 Randall in the pic. I do fancy Randall's in house artist Rick Bowels scrimshawed designs on ivory handles.

Once you purchase the Randall knife, you get the complete item in that it has a blade, handle, etc. It also has proven itself to have earned a premium price by collectors. Some of the allure of the Randall is that they were carried into battle by WWII and Vietnam era soldiers. The DR display receiver, even one that is as bare bones as the prototype, may one day obtain similar status, but to make a contemporary comparison to a Bo Randall 1937 prototype is, for the moment, wishful thinking.

I didn't know that your back was in peril. You thought the prototype would bring your reserve on ebay. It didn't. I figured you were doing what some sellers do at gun shows. They tell their spouse that they are going to sell a firearm, but set a price that will insure it remains in their collection. I see now that you were sincere.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/Polythemus/1955RandallModel14.jpg

I tell you what Art... One day you will respond to a post in it's entirety and not pick and choose your talking points.

No, I do not think that a Richardson prototype is the same value as a Bo Randall 1937 produced knife. Don't recall saying that.

Yes, I do believe just like the Bo Randall 1937 produced knife, the early DR receiver does have "increased" value and is true evidenced by offers made to me.... It is just I think it deserves more respect than people who actually do have and interest in it. So for now it still has a good home with me. As for my ebaY pricing... Did I think it would bring the money definite maybe.... This economy kinda sucks and this type of item is the first to lose it's appeal. I did think I could cut some kind of deal and in fact still have two working at this point.

Last post on this worn out old topic. I THOUGHT!

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

I tell you what Art... One day you will respond to a post in it's entirety and not pick and choose your talking points.

No, I do not think that a Richardson prototype is the same value as a Bo Randall 1937 produced knife. Don't recall saying that.

Yes, I do believe just like the Bo Randall 1937 produced knife, the early DR receiver does have "increased" value and is true evidenced by offers made to me.... It is just I think it deserves more respect than people who actually do have and interest in it. So for now it still has a good home with me. As for my ebaY pricing... Did I think it would bring the money definite maybe.... This economy kinda sucks and this type of item is the first to lose it's appeal. I did think I could cut some kind of deal and in fact still have two working at this point.

Last post on this worn out old topic.

I didn't say that you did say a 1937 Randall prototype "is the same value" as a DR prototype display receiver. Here is what I did say:

The DR display receiver, even one that is as bare bones as the prototype, may one day obtain similar status, but to make a contemporary comparison to a Bo Randall 1937 prototype is, for the moment, wishful thinking.

How much "respect" should be bestowed upon a "paperweight," even a prototype one? $1000 worth?

I didn't say that you did say a 1937 Randall prototype "is the same value" as a DR prototype display receiver. Here is what I did say:

The DR display receiver, even one that is as bare bones as the prototype, may one day obtain similar status, but to make a contemporary comparison to a Bo Randall 1937 prototype is, for the moment, wishful thinking.

How much "respect" should be bestowed upon a "paperweight," even a prototype one? $1000 worth?

I guess I just don't understand and never will..... When you say, "to make a contemporary comparison to a Bo Randall 1937 prototype is, for the moment, wishful thinking." Is that not in respect to value? You know what, this is just pedestrian at best at this point so let's just pretend this whole thing never happened. Perhaps another replica thread would keep you and the rest of the board better entertained. I think everyone on this board including those whose names are not to be spoken understand my point. If you want to argue what is, is, go to the politics board. You can't even accept winning an argument as a option at this juncture. Your point was made, it is not worth as much as I thought it was, it has no value other than that of a paperweight, OK?

Apologies to the rest of the board on this......

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

I got tired of having to run to the Webster's for this thread! You think we should close the topic? :banghead:

hey ART you mention Randall knives a person i did bizz with back when passed away recently, left to his son 4,000 Randall knive's.i am not sure if he is going to sell any at all. or some at auction. i don't know of anybody that had a finer collection.

and before somebody blurts in NO WAY..... he was a very wealthy man even 30 year's ago.i would be happy with one.his class three collection was also real nice.Ron

p.s. i figure i would change the subject.

Mars Attack's. i still wish i had the original set of cards from 62..now just happy with replica's......oh wait REPLICA'S!!!

bad me,

thanks for the memorie's.

Edited by colt21a