Converting a M12 to trench gun configuration?

I've read all the posts and research like crazy to include East Taylor and Numrich websites. The conversion seems simple enough; not going for a museum replica.

Beyond the blatently obvious is there any thing one should be aware of during such and under taking?

The biggest thing to remember on a Model 12 conversion is that an original m-12 trench gun barrel has a larger O.D. than a commercial barrel. So if you're just cutting down a barrel to length, you will need to shim the barrel so the heat shield/bayo attachment will fit tightly to the barrel.

If your thinking of buying an East Taylor replica m-12 heat shield/bayo attachment, I have one I'll make you a deal on. I ponied up the bucks for an original so I don't need it. There are pics of it in another thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question for the gurus...

Does the Model 12 require the magazine plug to have the tip, similar to the M97, that fits into the heat shield?

I have the new donor shotgun with a previously cut barrel so I'm not destroying history and am just about ready to start the conversion....photos soon

Yes, to convert your Model 12 to Trench Gun configuration, you will need the magazine end cap with the protruding pin on the front. I believe the end cap off of a Winchester Model 25 will work.

Model 25.jpg

Edited by Lancer

Thanks for the assist on this Lancer.

Here is a completed replica M12 Trench Gun with a remarked P13 Remington bayonet. The serial number places the date of manufacture as late 1918. Don't worry, the barrel was already cut and nothing about her is a Riot or real Trench Gun.

On a side note, if you need to shim the heat shield from East Taylor, use .025 copper.

post-259053-0-85893700-1387062184_thumb.jpg

post-259053-0-53480900-1387062204_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1