Compensator count toward barrel length?

I won’t get the ATF verbiage exactly right, but for it to “count”, it has to be “permanently” attached by a method such as welding, hi-temp soldering such as silver solder, or blind pinning. The point is, the attachment can’t be reversible by the average Joe (or Jo).

The point is, the attachment can’t be reversible by the average Joe

"readily convertible" IE: you cant just take it off with a screw driver or hammer in 5 minutes.

most non intrusive is blind pin and silver soldering over the holes.

From the atf handbook.

Permanent methods of

attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver

soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

So, no. From the factory with just the roll pin holding it in place, the compensator in the 16" model doesn't count. The compensator on the 14" model is attached differently, so it does count towards barrel length which brings them up to the legal 16".

On the ATF website years ago I read that the total Barrel Length was measured starting from the Chamber to the tip of the Cutt Compensator.

I purchased the 14.5 Barrel from Green Mountain and had the Cutts welded after I positioned it with Lock Tight.

I will try to find the ATF page and post here.

I have a Quick Disconnect Barrel System to change from Blank adapted Barrel to a Shooting Barrel to a 10.5 Display Barrel that has a steel dowel welded in it.

I keep a small tape measure with the gun at all times to prevent any problems at the Range or when doing WW2 Reenactments.

Edited by jojeep