Mini Tommy

Allright, I know a lot of us have been watching this.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

But I have to ask about it's legality before I cough up the $$ on it.

I did search the maker of this gun. Turns out he was from Austin, TX. He made apparently quite a few of these, as well as the "Grizzly" line of Colt SA pistols. He was a "genius" who couldn't seem to market his products well, but they were of exquisite design. He also made 1928 Thompson - looks BEAUTIFUL indeed!

The seller says there is a dimple for a firing pin on the bolt face (Like an M1A1). No extractor though. The barrel is rifled, not sure if it is .22 or .25 cal. I have asked to see into the chamber, and see if a round (.22 short or .25 auto??) could be inserted. I haven't got that photo yet.

ASSUMING the chamber does not exist - not reamed for any cartridge - what would the legality of owning such a toy be?

I have seen one of these - I believe Tracie Hill had one - or something very similar. Tracie also had a drum (and the mold uset to cast the drum halves!!) that went with his. The seller states some of these mini's fired - his does not. The "mag" is a block of metal, not usuable at all.

Any info and/or comments????

This is well known maker of minature guns - around 20 years ago I saw one which was owned by a pardner of Martin Rettings in Culver City CA., which had a drum, was in 25 auto and fired. There were several at the SAR show both in M1 and 28 and 21 design - asking price was around $ 1,500 if interested go to the web site -

http://www.waynedriskillminiatures.com/

Guns&Ammo did an article "The Mini-Chopper" by Dick Eades in January 1977. I have the first 2 pages of it but have somehow lost the rest.

According to the article de la Garrique of Dallas produced his first miniature Thompson in 1960. He made models of both the M1 and 1921/1928. Each model took 200 hours of work to produce. Some were made to fire a slightly shortened .25 ACP but most were made to neither feed nor extract. At that time functional models sold for $1750 and non-firing for $1475. He also made model drum mags but these did not include internal parts. He did make at least 2 functioning drum magazines but these cost $600 to manufacture . Naturally the operational guns had to be BATF registered.

You can find these for sale sometimes on the web. See www.miniguns.com or the links at www.miniaturearms.com. These also show models made in Russia. At one time I tried, but was unable to find a contact in Russia to see if models could be supplied direct to Scotland.

Phil,

That is the question I originally was asking - in MI I have a C&R, so that would rule it out for me. But do you have to be a Class 2 to own it?

But it seems this one is not a firing model, as verified by the article mentioned above that there were both firing and non-firing models. By the description I am sure this one is non-firing.

By the way - reserve is $1200. Wife has informed me that is too rich for my blood (though not even double what a parts kit would be!).

Hopefully someone here gets it - I want to see this thing! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Thanks for all of your input!

Very interesting piece. Not to be picky (well OK I am) but for that kind of dough I would want one without any flaws in the finish.

Also (and I frankly admit I am not perfectly familiar with M1's) would not the magazine catch have a hole and the safety and rocker pivots be pins not paddles? Looks like the same lower from a Colt miniature. I also very much doubt these were full auto if a firing version but I do not know for sure, just seems like too much work to make non firing, semi and full auto versions.