Stamps are real pretty

Hurray! I get to SBR my Kahr Thompson; my stamps came today. I think PK is going to be a little busier soon. Incidentally, it took about 3.5 months from when I first sent the letter.

Oorah! Congratulations. Heh, the stamps are pretty aren't they?

Congrats Sgt,

Hoping to afoard to apply for my own someday, but untill then my WH has to keep that out of proportion 16" tube.

BB

I'm hoping to get my stamp for NFA firing pin. A full auto WH 27A1. Should be a neat sight once everything clears.

I received a respnose to my letter I had written to the ATF in DC. They said that as long as the NFA pin remains in the gun, the gun itself is a machine gun and can have the "characteristics" of a machine gun; such as a TSMG 10.5 inch barrel. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

I may register the 27 as an SBR anyway, that way I can remove the pin and put it in another gun without having to take the barrel off of my gun.

Norm

Thanks guys for helping me celebrate. However, if you want to talk celebration, wait until the stamps for the Savage comes in. Yeowwww! I've got to quit marking the calendar, it's making it go too slow. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

By the way, Norm-- How does that pin work? I've always been curious about those. Was it originally made for the WH? Is there any selector control, or if not, can one be put in?

Sgt (and others interested),

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif All of the following information is about an transferable NFA registered firing pin that I am buying. It IS NOT about an illegal conversion of a WH/Kahr 1927A1. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Yes, the pin was made specifically for the West Hurley 1927A1 or M1 semi auto. It will (should) work in the Kahr versions also. As far as I know, WH and Kahr are the only companies to ever make a closed bolt version of the Thompson.

The way the pin works is simple. It converts the gun into an open bolt.

The floating firing pin is replaced with this non-floating version. It is pinned tight in the bolt so that it does not move. This makes a "solid bolt," like an M1A1 has. The firing pin is simply a dimple sticking out of the bolt facing. When you cock the gun, the bolt locks back because the firing pin is now "locked" in a fixed position. When you pull the trigger, the sear releases the firing pin (and bolt.) When the bolt slams closed, the dimple smashes the primer and fires the round. The gas from the fired round performs the blowback action and the process starts again.

In it's original design, there is no selector switch. By removing (or altering) the parts that "disconnect" the sear in the 27A1 this allows the gun to fire as long as the trigger is pulled. This was it's original design. Since these pins were made in 1984 (aprox.), this was no big issue. If you wanted to buy a full auto WH28, you simply ordered one new. Well, those days are long gone and all the WH28's have been gobbled up.

The firing pin can be made to work with a modified 1928 trigger frame and STANDARD internal parts. Just the fact that the 28 trigger frame can fit on a 27A1 receiver with very little modification makes this possible.

Since the pin is registered with the ATF as a legitimate machine gun, the bolt and pin can be modified to work with the 28 trigger frame. The 27A1 receiver DOES NOT have to be modified.

This will be a rare gun as there are only ten (aprox.) of these firing pins on the ATF registry. Mine is serial number three.

I hope this explains how it works. Basically, I'll have a gun that is set up on the outside like a 1921/28, but works like an M1A1 on the inside.

Norm