WTB: Original 1921 Remington/Colt Furniture Set

The lack of a reply to your query is extremely unusual on this garrulous board, especially concerning Colt Thompson parts but, sadly, in my view, it reflects the discomfort in saying or admitting that we have reached a place in this collecting niche where the availability of such a set is non-existent. I was hoping that someone would chime in confirming that he has several sets in varying condition and here are the prices, and all is well. Radio silence. Having good spares is next to having the gun itself and acknowledging that spares are just not there anymore makes collectors edgy, in denial and hoping for a miracle if they should need them. This is not unique to Colt Thompsons, either, but to parts and accessories for many vintage MGs and the attrition on the market of really good spare parts is accelerating. I have paid a fanatic's price for rare items in the last year, all without therapy, but always counting on the possession of the item as therapy enough. But, as the expression goes, "never say never" so there is always the hope that for what you are asking, a reply will show up with the goodies offered, so have that bountiful check ready....FWIW

Parts or really good parts are not as plentiful for Semis either as a number that I have already bought up parts for are drying up. M14s for one too. Hope you find a set my Wood was patterned after a 21 so for me I like the feel but not the price tag. Let us know if you turn a set.

I would just wait. Good colt stuff pops up once in a while here on the board. But be fast- they sell very quickly. Good luck

I would add to my pessimistic post above that the originality of alleged original and correct Colt lower and forward pistol grips offered, will be hotly contested on this site as there are many fakes of varying quality especially of the forward grip. Stocks can be easier to identify due to the anchor stamp, quality of the wood and finish, hardware and wood stamps, bluing, etc. If you are after a forestock, Colt Navy are uniquely different than later non-Colt types, extremely scarce, and there also are fakes. A colt '21 kit would solve your quest!

There are parts around. I know two guys that have colt stock sets sitting, neither comes here and posts, neither has any interest or need to sell them, and they generally hold onto them in case they need them for a repair just like a lot of other guys here. When there is significant demand they will be reproduced with quality and attention to detail, but I don't think one guy looking (and he hasn't stated why he's looking) makes a market. I'm generally hesitant to sell what I have since a lot of it ends up in post samples or semi clones which IMO is kind of a waste if a part is very scarce. Both of the guys with the wood feel the same way and are picky about where their stuff is going since there is actually a limited supply. They want to insure the stuff ends up as a legit use and that some fool doesn't put the parts on a post sample colt or a west hurley gun, and while some of you may laugh, we know it happens. If the OP wants to qualify his actual need, it may help him break loose a set of furniture? The other option if you don't have good original wood is to just buy a better gun and get rid of what you have, that's probably the most cost effective way to get something nice vs. trying to piece one together. As the saying goes, it's only original once, even if you put "correct" wood on it, doesn't make it original it makes it correct, and there is a difference IMO. A very small percentage of Colts are original, course on the other hand very few people either can tell or even seem to care?

I have a 1921A Colt IRS gun that does not have original wood. It has a shiny finish and I want to get the MG back to as close to original as possible. I should qualify that I am still waiting on the form 4 to go through, check cashed March 4th.

Thanks,

Tom

I have a 1921A Colt IRS gun that does not have original wood. It has a shiny finish and I want to get the MG back to as close to original as possible. I should qualify that I am still waiting on the form 4 to go through, check cashed March 4th.

Thanks,

Tom

You're sure that the wood isn't original? Is it possible someone just varnished or used polyurethane on the original wood? If the latter, that can be fixed.

No anchor stamp and not presented as original. However I am far from an expert.

2t2,

Thanks for the reply. If you get a chance, while you are waiting for your transfer to come through, pick up a copy of Tom Davis Jr's. excellent book, "An Amateur's Guide for the Colt's Thompson Submachine Gun: (Or How to be an Informed Buyer in a Very Expensive Market)". There are some good pictures and tips in there about recognizing original Colt Thompson wood. When you get the gun, post some pictures and we'll try to help you out to see if the original wood was refinished or replaced.