Modern/New Manufacture L-Drum Internals

Wondering if anyone knows if the internals of a modern Auto Ordnance New York L-drum will fit in a World War II era Seymour L-drum. After getting my 1st Thompson ever this past summer(a Bridgeport 1928A1), I made the mistake of buying two new manufacture Auto Ordnance L-drums. It was only later I found out that it is common for new manufacture drums to not work well with old/vintage Thompsons. They would not even fit on my gun until some serious filing took place, and even then the best I could ever get from either one was 4-5 rounds before a jam. I have since obtained two vintage Seymour L-drums and they have both worked great, hundreds of rounds through each without a single jam or other problem.

The modern drums were not cheap(I paid $225 each)and worthless now to try and resell given my filing efforts to make them work. Thinking they may have some value for internal spare parts if I ever have a problem with one of my Seymour drums, but don't know if the internals would be interchangeable. Does anyone out there know the answer or have experience with such a thing?

IMHO, these are the only modern reproduction L drums worh having. They're made in Taiwan and they work perfectly. They're restocked from time to time:

https://www.keepshooting.com/thompsonr-compatible-drum.html?mc_cid=b130224a65&mc_eid=%5BUNIQID%5D

Wondering if anyone knows if the internals of a modern Auto Ordnance New York L-drum will fit in a World War II era Seymour L-drum. After getting my 1st Thompson ever this past summer(a Bridgeport 1928A1), I made the mistake of buying two new manufacture Auto Ordnance L-drums. It was only later I found out that it is common for new manufacture drums to not work well with old/vintage Thompsons. They would not even fit on my gun until some serious filing took place, and even then the best I could ever get from either one was 4-5 rounds before a jam. I have since obtained two vintage Seymour L-drums and they have both worked great, hundreds of rounds through each without a single jam or other problem.

The modern drums were not cheap(I paid $225 each)and worthless now to try and resell given my filing efforts to make them work. Thinking they may have some value for internal spare parts if I ever have a problem with one of my Seymour drums, but don't know if the internals would be interchangeable. Does anyone out there know the answer or have experience with such a thing?

MRCTMG,

The problem with the newer drums you purchased were very common to those drums, it just wasn't in WWII vintage Thompsons, they didn't work very well in the West Hurley production guns either. The rotors will be interchangeable with your WWII vintage Seymour drums, but they still probably won't work well either. The jams were caused be inferior springs and finish on the rotors. I wouldn't keep them for spare parts for Seymour drums. Your Seymour drums should work fine for many years if you treat them properly.

TSMGguy steered you right, with the modern Taiwan drums. I would recommend those if you wan't or need new drums.

Thanks for the replies/info. Weasel, if you want to try them on your gun, send me your address and I'll ship them to you. Honor system-if they work on your gun, $50 for each/$100 for both. If they don't, do what you wish with them-throw them away or make an ashtray or lamp out them... :D