Pricing Help Please, Tsmg Kit

I'm looking for a fair market value of an Thompson Parts set (no drum, only one stick mag). Here's the info i have:

Marked "US Property"

Marked: "M1A1"

Manufactured by "Auto Ordnance"

It has a smooth barrel (no fins) and no foreward vertical grip.

S/N 685XXX

It's in exc. condition.

Any info on fair selling price appriciated.

The only thing i have to go by is the ad from Ohio Ordnance for a similar kit for $850. Is there a difference b/t the kit i have and the one they list?

Thanks

Caspian

Just bought and received the '28 Thompson Parts Kit from Sportsmans Guide. It's a pretty good deal because I have seen this kit go for over $700 elsewhere. I was amazed on the condition of the kit. They do have the smoothed barrel option if you want. I don't know how long their deal will last or how much they have in the inventory. Check it out before it's too late!

An M1A1 kit would be worth about $450-$500 currently.

The 1928 kits are going for $700-$750 but as Colt1928 stated, Sportsmans Guide has really nice '28 kits for $539!

Anyone get one of these kits from the guide? What S/N did you get?

john

Here's the deal.

The gun is currently complete and functional. It's another "widow" story. I have a buddy whose dads old hunting buddy died. Anyway, the widow found the old Thompson in the basement. My buddy (and I) are both in LE. She called him and asked if he could help her sell it. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/nono.gif He wrote the ATF to try to see if it had been registered. Long story short, it's not and they have to turn the receiver over to the ATF. It's being stored in his PD evidence room until we cut it up.

As much as i would like to give my fellow gun owners a good deal and sell it for $200, i can't in good faith do that to an 80-something widow. I told him i'd get her as much as possible for the gun.

I am getting ZERO commission to sell the kit.

I will put it up for sale, and it will be priced higher than SG. However, i will have pictures and a very accurate description of the parts condition. Additionally, I will be doing it to help the widow.

Thanks for the leads on prices. I now know not to put it up for $850.

Thanks

Caspian

Z3 is right! Donate the entire thing to a Federally funded museum, declare the value (we all know what a real M1 is worth) and write off the donation on your taxes! The savings could be at least $3000 and up.....

Tman works with a museum in Texas that accepts these guns. I am sure there are others, but the one in Texas knows how to do this.

Email Tman on this board! As he is a member of the BATFE, you have the security that the deal is on the up and up. It will be the way you can get the most money for it, and you will be preserving it as well!

Good luck, and keep us informed!

By the way.... what is the s/n of the gun?

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Feb 10 2006, 11:41 AM)
Yikes don't cut it up! They're alternatives I think..... Others know better than me....

the alternatives are:

1) form 10 it to a law enforcment agency or govt. agency. That's not really an option b/c the lady won't get any financial reimbursment. additionally, there is no real purpose for a TSMG when they have MP-5s for their SWAT team.

2) turn it over to a museum. not really an option since this isn't an exotic variation of the TSMG.

QUOTE (giantpanda4 @ Feb 10 2006, 12:13 PM)
Z3 is right! Donate the entire thing to a Federally funded museum, declare the value (we all know what a real M1 is worth) and write off the donation on your taxes! The savings could be at least $3000 and up.....

i'll pass along the options and let her decide. thanks for the input.

caspian

being an MG enthusast myself, i hate nothing more than to see a nice gun destroyed.

however, i see this turning into a huge pain in the ass. I agreed to help out for no financial gain, but am going to end up spending hours, and hours only to have it gather dust in a PD property room or donated to a museum which probably has 10+ specimans of the same model.

i probably came to the wrong place to mention chopping a TSMG. however, i just talked my buddy and we're aiming for the easy route.

Thanks for the info.

caspian

Sorry you think this was the wrong place to ask, there are a bunch of knowlegable people that might be able to help.

One item that the others may have more info on is the current House Bill that will allow amnesty and transferable registration for vet bringbacks that were not done in '68. Unless this Bill stalled or was just killed, I would sure wait it out for a short time. You have LE connections and it is currently in LE lock up, pending legislation is a great reason to put it on hold. I don't have the Bill # in front of me but it does/did exist.

Good luck with it, I hope it doesn't get cut up.

Can't say I didn't try to save this one... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cop.gif

Nuttin like goin from $15K to 300 bucks in one shipping box.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Well I hope the ATF boys have fun meltin er down..... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/banghead.gif

I just received my parts kit a few days ago and was satisfied with it's condition. I originally put my order in when looking to buy a 1928 WH without a Cutts. I ordered the kit due to the Cutts being included, not to mention a spare barrel, lower, etc. Well, the deal fell through on the original gun, but another came on the market so I bought it. It has the Cutts already in place, but I figured I'd keep the parts kit anyway, because of the spares. The lower is in pretty good condition, the stock and forestock are both so so. The barrel and Cutts look good also. The bolt and parts look unused. The serial number on the lower is A060743. If anyone can supply info from this serial #, I'd lke to hear about it.

I also bought 3 of the "Used" 30 rd. stick mags. From the looks of them I'd say "Used" is very kind. I'll be surprised if any of them run well, but who knows, I won't have my gun for several months.

I also ordered one of the "L" drums for the $359 or whatever it was from Sportsman's Guide, I'm showing it on backorder and due to ship on 2/28.

Edited by draver