M14 Springfield Armory Serial Numbers

Guest title ii

Guest title ii
Is there any way to get any record of when a Springfield Armory M14 was manufactured and shipped to the end customer if a serial number is provided? This particular one is uncut.

Yes. Pg. 336 of Steven's book, "US Rifle M14, from John Garand to the M21" has this information. Post the serial number here or PM me and I'll look it up for you.
  • Upvote 1

Guest title ii

Yes. Pg. 336 of Steven's book, "US Rifle M14, from John Garand to the M21" has this information. Post the serial number here or PM me and I'll look it up for you.

"516,472 to 565,496 (49,025) Springfield Armory forth order for 49,024 rifles (fiscal year 1962)."

This information relates only to the order and when it was placed. I've never seen a list of exact M14 delivery dates by serial number.

Edited by TSMGguy

Guest title ii

"516,472 to 565,496 (49,025) Springfield Armory forth order for 49,024 rifles (fiscal year 1962)."

This information relates only to the order and when it was placed. I've never seen a list of exact M14 delivery dates by serial number.

Does the book say who was the purchaser? What is your guess if there is no information ?

IIRC, all were produced under US Government DOD contracts. It's almost impossible to tell where they went after delivery. Sometimes, stocks are marked or stamped in a particular style giving hints as to one or more of the users down the line. Those marked by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission come to mind. the Israelis often electro penned additional markings on receivers. Like so much of collecting, it's pretty much impossible to trace the history of a particular gun. Those few that went straight into the H&R or Springfield museums are exceptions. The H&R guns are in private hands today.

Guest title ii

IIRC, all were produced under US Government DOD contracts. It's almost impossible to tell where they went after delivery. Sometimes, stocks are marked or stamped in a particular style giving hints as to one or more of the users down the line. Those marked by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission come to mind. the Israelis often electro penned additional markings on receivers. Like so much of collecting, it's pretty much impossible to trace the history of a particular gun. Those few that went straight into the H&R or Springfield museums are exceptions. The H&R guns are in private hands today.

This one most likely ended up where it is today due to National Security Decision Directive 17. Without doubt the CIA played a leading role in this M14 and others leaving CONUS.