Lube Confused?

Hey guy's, I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! I just got done watching my AGI armorer's course on the Thompson. In the course the instructor stated that you should use a lube like " 3 in one" or similar. Now I'm confused. Is "Break Free" OK to use on the felt oiler? How many of you clean you firearms with "Simple Green " or other non-solvent type cleaner/degreasers? Due to lung injuries from a Meth Lab bust, I have to be carefull of chemicals now. "Keep your powder dry"

Greg,

I use Clenzoil on most everything, even the felt pads. CLP should be just fine as well. Simple green is great for removing oil/grease from parts but I have never used it on the gun itself. Not sure it would hurt it though. The fumes from full strength Simple Green affect me some but nothing like a Meth Lab will. We've lost a couple guys to medicals from lab busts too. Hope yours isn't as severe and you get back out there as soon as possible.

Chuck

Really, any old oil will work.

TSMG's love oil.

BTW, do you wear glasses?

I once made a special paste of Moly disulfide, graphite, and synthetic oil to coat the inside of the receiver on my WH gun. to break the moly into the metal pores, the gun muct be run.

A TSMG , well oiled in NOT a gun you want to operate while wearing a white shirt, especially if there is moly and graphite in the mix. The blow by from the pilot bushing holes always messes up your galsses or gets spots on your shirt.

Kinda like the time I experimented with making the Sproinnngggg go away from an AR 15 buffer tube by putting greas insde the buffer tube. The top stock screw has a little drain hole that splots grease all over your shoulder.

Doug

Jim, this is a stupid question since probably freezing to you is 68 degrees http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif but have you ever noticed Tetra Gun lube slowing down the action in colder temps? I used to use it, and it really seemed to slow the action below freezing. I use Clenzoil now and no similar result...

It’s really coconut oil. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Been looking for Clenzoil, haven't located any yet. Marksman's/Shooter's Choice just isn't cutting the mustard.

It works great for copper fouling, but that seems to be about it.

QUOTE (The1930sRust @ Jan 3 2005, 07:45 PM)
Jim, this is a stupid question since probably freezing to you is 68 degrees http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif but have you ever noticed Tetra Gun lube slowing down the action in colder temps? I used to use it, and it really seemed to slow the action below freezing. I use Clenzoil now and no similar result...

I wish I could slow it down.

Actually, I really have not been out shooting with the temperature under 55 degrees. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Thanks guys for your input. Sounds like I should'nt use break free.

Doug, Yeah Ive started to have to wear glasses and I've learned that the lube splatters all over them. Oh well, sometimes you have to suck it up when your having fun blasting away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use Colt T-6 lube on the M1 bolt/receiver interfaces and on the recoil spring/buffer pilot, and whatever oil on the trigger frame group.

The Colt T-6 lube is an overpriced thin white grease in a little pressurized can so the lube come out foamy.

Reduces splatter and may slow the ROF.

Worked okay at about 25 deg F on 24 DEC 2004.

Don't know if T-6 would be any good on a Blish lock equipped Thompson or not.

The oiler was one of the parts dropped when the M1 TSMG was designed to replace the more costly M1928A1. The reason it was dropped is that it is was not needed, and makes little difference to the functioning of the gun. Use whatever you like, or nothing at all. The gun won't know the difference! I put a couple of drops of Hoppe's lubricating oil on the pads after cleaning the gun, just to keep the pads wet.