Thompson Ammo In German Mp40 Ammo Pouch?

I recall seeing a photo of a First Special Service Force Lt. marching into Rome. You can't see what weapon he is armed with, but you can clearly see that he is wearing a German MP40 ("Schmeisser") magazine pouch. This brings up an interesting question -- could Thompson 30 round magazines fit in a MP40 mag pouch?

The MP40 mag is not as deep as the Thompson, but if it did work, you could carry 6 of the 30-rounders, 3 on a side, in those MP40 pouches. Or, the GI in that pic may have been carrying an MP40! I've seen a few photos of GI's with 'em; guarding prisoners, etc. "Battlefield pickups", they called those. I hope that helps. You'll get more responses, I'm sure.

The MP-40 mag is longer than the Thompson mag. I have a set of repro MP-40 pouches, so I tried it...the Thompson mag will fit in the pockets, but it is tight. Because the Thompson mag is shorter, it sits in the pouch farther making it tough to grab, however a couple of loose rounds in the bottom of the pouch will raise the mag enough to grab. Hope this helps. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

In the movie "Kelly's Heroes" Kelly and a few others are wearing what looks like German MP 40 Ammo Pouches, but the have "slots" for 4 magazines instead of 3, and are carried slung over the shoulder. Does anyone know what type of ammo bags those are?

I have one of those pouches and the Thompson mags were a tight fit when I tried to insert one. The last time I saw KELLY'S HEROES I was surprised to see the leather pouch hanging off Eastwood's shoulder, recognizing it as like the one I have.

I got mine from Sarco or IMA free with some other stuff-they said it was an MP40 pouch. Mine has no Nazi markings so I think it's post war. Someone here more into accessory collecting may shed some light on this subject.

The pouches in Kelly's Heroes were not USGI (IMHO) nor were they wartime German. Probably postwar Eastern bloc. Another howler was the Russian M91 sniper rifle used by the US soldier. Being filmed in Yugoslavia, it was convenient. Still one of my favorite movies of all time.