Dear All:

The FAQ we talked about months ago is slowly coming to fruition.

http://www.darklightimagery.net/thompson/faq.jpg

I've arranged it in what I think is some seblance of order, and ask all of you to read over it for clarity and ommission. It's "pinned" to the top of the board.

I thank all of you who have responded with que and aye so far. If some of you see your original posts altered a bit, take no offense. I tried to rewrite some of them in the same vein as the others, sort of a third person. If I added anything that is incorrect, forgive me and correct me!

Try and think back to when you first decided you had to have a Tommy. What questions did you have? I think we need some sort of short and concise step by step FAQ about the paperwork process, but none so in depth as to take up a page. Any takers? Also, I thought about a recommened reading FAQ.

Best way to send in FAQ's is to "PM" me or email them to me. Or add them here for awhile...

Thanks.

Chris--

Just wanted to say that the FAQ is nicely organized. Enjoy the graphics too. Thanks

Perhaps a more descriptive price guide for Colt Thompson's might be nice. A Colt Thompson selling for 15K today would be in pretty rough shape, i.e. lack of original blueing or reblued, pitted, rusted,, missing original Colt parts and wood, barrel swap, rewelds, etc. Also, out of the 15,000 original Colts, some 149 were of the 1927 semi version, (even if they could be readily converted to full auto), so there were really not 15,000 full auto models manufactured, but more like 14,851. When a fact portion concerning Form 4 applications is submitted, a sampling of completion of the waiting period should be gauged from the day the $200 ATF check is cashed, or use the date application went into "pending". Using the day a Form 4 submitter had the CLEO sign, or day of fingerprinting, or date of mailing, is too arbitrary to accurately guage the true waiting time it takes ATF to notify seller of approval.

Arthur: Could you write a concise paragraph or so about the Colts for inclusion? Not sure where you're going with the second part of the post.

Yes to the first question. Let me elaborate on the second part. A frequently asked question is: "How long does it take for my paperwork to clear ATF processing?" In answering this question, board members who chose to volunteer their experiences as to exact approval times, would count from the number of days that elapsed from the date their check was cashed by ATF until approval date. This would offer some uniformity in determining various ATF response times with first hand accounts. Didn't mean to make it sound so convoluted.

Arthur,

You're pretty well read on the Colt Thompsons. Are you sure you meant that there weren't 15,000 full autos made? Remember, they were all 1921A models off the assembly line. Some were later converted to semi-auto status when the came up with that marketing idea circa 1927.

So they were originally full auto, that's why they ground off the full auto markings on the 1927. By the way, what's your source for the 149 total of 1927 models? I wouldn't have guessed there were even that many. I'm not disputing it, I just haven't seen any of the literature commit to the total number converted.

I seem to recall hearing the number around 149, but I can't recall where I read it...Perhaps someone on the Forum may have the answers? As far as I know, less than 42 are known, and many have been converted back to their select fire cappabilities.

GiJive,

Holly bat guano, again! Yes. You're exactly right in admonishing me that all 15,000 did start off as full auto. My inexactitude has come back to haunt me. A bush league error. I should definitely revise that to say that after all the tweeking in 1927, only 14,851 remained full auto. Just chauk it up to my feeble attempt to illustrate that there were no additonal Colt's made after 1922, but only revisions to existing ones.

Lionhart,

By 1934, only 42 1927 Colt's remained in stock. So during the previous seven years the bulk of the converted TSMG's found homes.

I am still hammering out the FAQ and adding new sections now and then. Thanks to all of you who have written Q/A or have suggested some. I've tried to, within my limited knowledge, answer some of them and post them.

Also, if anyone has any images they think might compliment a question, email them to me. Specifically, I was thinking of adding pictures of each type of Thompson, if I could find good face on pictures. Just something to snazz it up some. A close up of a loaded C drum with cover off or half on might be nice, too.