Reising Model 60 Case

koz5614

I know Fed Labs made hard cases for the M50, but was one ever made for the Model 60?

I have been intrigued by the idea of re-creating a copy a Fed Labs case, but scaled up to accommodate the Model 60’s OAL. I figure the area around the additional barrel length could be sectioned off to hold a couple extra mags.

AFAIK no one is making re-pops of the Fed Labs Reising case. I've looked and I've asked. So getting someone to modify their present design slightly isn't going to work. I've never seen or heard of a case for the 60 so you are probably on your own.

They weren't made for the 60's because they were not guns marketed to law enforcement, the Model 50 was, and as such the case was set up to I assume be taken out on special calls or to be stored in the trunk and used when necessary, thus the need for the case with 4 mags and two additional 50 round boxes of ammo and keeping it all together. No one takes a semi auto to a gunfight if you can have a machine gun?

M60's are 40-5/8"

M50's are 35-7/8"

Cases are 37-1/2 x 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 high. Making new ones to the standards of an old one is a project for sure. The toughest part on all these period cases seems to be fabricating an original style handle? No one's done it accurately yet that I've seen? Keep us posted if you decide to pursue it. HTH

I envy both your ambition and your woodworking skills

Since you'd be adding another 5" to the case length, you might consider making the slots for the magazines long enough to accommodate Christie or Keystone 30 round mags. That way they could also still hold the H&R 12s and 20s

Edited by StrangeRanger

More ambition than skill, but I have a friend who is a talented woodworker. Yes, the Christie Mags compartments are a good idea. The case could have removable inserts that could accommodate the longer mags if one happened to have them.

Edited by koz5614

A hard case for Reising M60 sounds like an idea !

As for them not being marketed towards Police not so sure johnsonlmg41.

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources purchased and issued to game wardens M60 Reisings back in the 1950's.

Many were stored on boats patrolling the Chesapeake Bay. Some were sold off in the 1970's to citizens through a gun store.

IIRC the serial #s were in the 1400 range ?

Wonder if there were any other police agencies that purchased M60s ? Easier to buy than the SMG and a bit more PC than giving machine guns to poorly trained cops ?

A hard case for Reising M60 sounds like an idea !

As for them not being marketed towards Police not so sure johnsonlmg41.

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources purchased and issued to game wardens M60 Reisings back in the 1950's.

Many were stored on boats patrolling the Chesapeake Bay. Some were sold off in the 1970's to citizens through a gun store.

IIRC the serial #s were in the 1400 range ?

Wonder if there were any other police agencies that purchased M60s ? Easier to buy than the SMG and a bit more PC than giving machine guns to poorly trained cops ?

Yes, wardens and guard positions were supposedly common. Not people typically trained or deemed necessary for full auto issue. I don't regard those as LE specifically and a guard post wouldn't need cases. Wardens would be typically using soft cases with storage behind a seat in a truck....back in the day, or even today in many cases. If you're a department buying guns it's just as easy to buy SMG's as semi rifles, all the effort is getting the budget money, not processing the paperwork.

FYI, the CIA also had at least 7 Reising Model 60's, with some being suppressed, as was revealed in a 2011 FOIA. Serial numbers were 175 (suppressed), 215, 235, 308 (suppressed), 423, 525 (suppressed, at Olin). There was one more Model 60 listed as suppressed, located at Atsugi, but no serial number was listed.

If you need any photos of particular parts of a Fed Labs case for your project, just let me know.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Make me one for my 50! :)

I wish someone would reproduce them. If I had the skill, equipment, and the time I would. I probably have the skill.. just not all the equipment to make it look nice and definitely time is a issue.

• 9 months later...

AFAIK no one is making re-pops of the Fed Labs Reising case. I've looked and I've asked. So getting someone to modify their present design slightly isn't going to work. I've never seen or heard of a case for the 60 so you are probably on your own.

Reproducing the original Reising case is possible. The vulcanized fiber board used to make the originals is still available as is most of the original hardware. The problem is that the case would cost significantly more to produce than what you would have to pay to buy an original in good condition. Edited by 1921A

I think the original cases go for over $1k.

A very nice reproduction I would think be $700 or under. I come with that number because that's what Greg Fox charges for Thompson reproduction cases.. He even makes a flat range case for the Thompson.

Cheap/low quality Thompson cases I see for $200.

Hence I think reproduction cases are doable with a profit.

I would buy one.

Edited by Ryo

A very nice reproduction I would think be $700 or under. I come with that number because that's what Greg Fox charges for Thompson reproduction cases.. He even makes a flat range case for the Thompson.

I would buy one.

Ryo,

FYI, Greg Fox is who you replied to above.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I would buy one.

Ryo,

FYI, Greg Fox is who you replied to above.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

LOL. I forgot what his user name was.