Nelson's Grave, Then & Now

Since we're high on Baby Face Nelson these days, here is a historical insignificant thing:

First photo is Nelson's grave just after the funeral and covered with dirt. The head stone is seen at top with a curved top. The Gillis family all had the curved top head stones, except Nelson's wife Helen who's is flat when she passed in 1987 ( probably a $ issue or something ? )

Notice the curved cemetery street in the 1934 photo.

Next is as it is today, with Nelson's headstone almost buried in the ground, curved top. Notice the curved cemetery street these days. Lot filled in since 34. Helen's flat stone is the first one in the photo.

So, there you go. Now you can sleep at night.

OCM

Baby's grave.jpg

Baby Face Nelson's grave.jpg

Baby's grave 2.jpg

Edited by OCM

Thanks Rob-

Helen had requested to be buried next to Lester. She never married after his death.

Did you notice any chipping away at the head stone, like what's happened to Dillinger's ?

Don't know where the kids are buried, Ron was living in Illinois, ( with Helen ) Darlene in Wisconsin.

No, there's no chipping to be seen, and I took several close up photos of his headstone.

It could be because these stones are hard to find, and from what I understand, the cemetery isn't fond of publicly advertising their "less savory" members.

That, and Nelson isn't as hero-worshipped like John is (who incidentally, like Chas Floyd, had more class than Lester, imho).

I'm of the opinion that he's more in the "mad dog" class of outlaws, like Frank McErlane and Clyde Barrow.

Rob

Both Dillinger & Barrow headstones were stolen and recovered at one time. The Barrows decided to lay it down flat in concrete, as it is today. John's has been replaced 4-5 times , as you know. When he was buried they put Jr on his name to separate him from Sr who died I think in 47.

JD's brain was missing, someone offered 10K for his body and a slab of concrete was laid him in the grave. Odd.

If someone offers 10K for my dead body, I know what my wife will do, new horse named OCM.

OCM

Both Dillinger & Barrow headstones were stolen and recovered at one time. The Barrows decided to lay it down flat in concrete, as it is today. John's has been replaced 4-5 times , as you know. When he was buried they put Jr on his name to separate him from Sr who died I think in 47.

JD's brain was missing, someone offered 10K for his body and a slab of concrete was laid him in the grave. Odd.

If someone offers 10K for my dead body, I know what my wife will do, new horse named OCM.

OCM

One of my younger brothers works for Crown Hill. He is Grounds Supervisor over all the properties now. He had said the Dillinger stone is replaced every 5 years or so due to people chipping it off. I haven't been to Crown Hill in a long time, even though I work around the corner from it, to visit Johnny. I did take my Thompson there once and photographed it on the grave.

I haven't spoke to that brother in about 10 years now, so I wonder what they do with the old stones. Would love to get one. Creepy, yes, but cool factor is up there.

http://www.mikesmachineguns.com/files/JHD___1928.JPG

Yes a way cool factor to have for display- Drag it to a show for fun and conversation.

Joe Pinkston had like #3 replaced and had it in his Nashville, IN museum. He replaced it himself, just so he could keep one, didn't tell the family just did it.

They probably just give the old ones away or destroy them, wonder who pays the tab ?

You should re-kindle your communications with your brother, might find something fun. Be fun to display CC's Nelson gun with it and one of yours.

Indiana history.......

If we could get Colt Chopper, load him up with a 6 of Miller High Life and a new spade, we could secure that old Nelson grave- Replace it before the cops show up. Then he could use it in his Nelson display, pretty much as Full Auto 45 is going to do.

I might be available on this capper.

Have Gun Can't Travel

Wire OCM

OCM

Great we can play cards in jail with CC & Full Auto 45, a foursome, perfect for a card game. I'm all in.