Spare Parts And Pieces

When I bought my Thompson, I was concerned about not having enough spare parts to keep a full-auto weapon functioning for the rest of my life so I bought plenty of spares of most everything, emphasis on "most" as there are still some that I would like to purchase. Now, I'm concerned that I have too much! Anyway, from you guys that have had your Thompsons for many years and have shot a lot of ammo; what do you have for spares and how many of each piece? Right now, I have two complete sets of extra "wood", two actuators, three bolts, four hammers, four firing pins, two barrels (one with a Cutts), three ejectors, four extractors, one spare pivot plate, three recoil springs, one magazine catch, three rockers, one sear, one trip, one trigger, two pilot rods, three blish locks, two breech oilers, one "L" Lyman sight. In addition to that I have two complete trigger frame assemblies. What is too much?! I shot about 1,500 rounds this year which was less than what I had planned, I will most likely shoot a few thousand rounds a year which I know is less than what many of you will shoot so who has worn out barrels, actuators, bolts, firing pins etc..? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I will sell some stuff off if I don't reaslistically need it. My only concern is in case of some catastrophic failure and needing spares to rebuild or in case I shoot a part out, I want at least one back-up but I don't know how fast parts wear out. Thanks!!

JDG--

I haven't been an owner for too long, but that is about what I have in my parts drawer. I don't think you can have too many parts, unless your wife holds the checkbook. LOL

I agree you can't have too many parts.

What I did was assemble them on a dummy reciever ( or in your case - two dummy recievers!). This gives me a chance to show people the gun (I take only the dummies to gun shows) without as much worry.

They go with me to a range whenever I shoot, to be canabalized if necessary. I did have to swap the bolt/spring/actuator from my 28 the first time I had it out. Not sure why, but it was nice to have the set around (and with the dummy, those parts are still just in the shooting bag!

Enjoy - but there is one thing you have to watch out for... wife noticed two dummies in the safe - thought I bougfht two guns! A little explanation ensued - I think she bought it!

IMHO, you have waaaaay more than enough to keep your gun running into the next two or three centuries. Myself, I'd say the only spare parts you really need would be a barrel (or two, if you're not to particular about the quality of ammo you use), a couple spare extractors and an ejector or two, maybe a complete spare set of springs and a spare firing pin, a spare actuator and breech oiler, and if you're really worried, a spare set of internals for the lower.

FWIW, I have an M1 and have run (my guess) at least 10k rounds through it so far, and the only things I've had to replace were the buffer and recoil spring.

YMMV

I have several bolts, bolt parts, two barrels, spare buffer pilot and several springs, quite a bit of wood, some lower internal parts, an extra oiler and lots of extractors and ejectors and a few blish locks. I should have an extra actuator but haven't bought a spare yet. Maybe after reading posts of what has had to be replaced I'll dump some of my parts...... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

john

Other than an ejector, extractor, firing pin, spring, oiler, actuator (if an ear breaks) and barrel with comp, there isn't much likelihood of wearing out, or breaking, a Blish lock, bolt, Lyman, most frame parts, or the wood from firing 1000's of rounds. What make of TSMG do all these spare parts eventually belong to?

Arthur,

All of the parts are for a 28 model, everything is of Savage or Stevens manufacture.

Thanks for everyone's replies!!