MP40 Barrel Change

I was just wondering if anyone on the board has actually changed the barrel on their MP40. I would like to know what the process is and what all is involved. I just want to stress that this is for my information only as I would not want to change my own barrel. I would send it to an expert like Bubba Naess to do it for me. Thanks for any responses.

I've changed barrels on MP40s numerous times, it is a very simple procedure if you are using complete barrel assemblies. All you have to do is loosen the barrel nut, remove the barrel and reverse the procedure to install the same barrel or a different one.

Changing the barrel itself rather than the entire barrel assembly is a bigger job involving the removal of the resting bar and the front sight base. The original pins are easily drifted out. Bergflak sells original pin sets for the whole gun or just the pins needed. The pins are of a rather special design, with each one countersunk on the ends to make flaring easy on reassembly. The barrel is notched for the front sight base pin, so a drill press will be needed to form the notch on the new barrel. The same pin holds the front sight hood on. Fitting and alignment are critical, so if the gun isn't a beater, I'd leave this job to the experts.

The barrel assembly that I bought is not quite complete. It looks to be 100% original but unmarked and is missing the front site hood, the resting bar and the barrel nut. It does have the trunnion though. I bought it because I have never seen a bore so minty and clean. This barrel came out of a 50+ year collection so I am pretty certain it is a very late war barrel. I figure the barrel that I have on my beater blaster MP40 has all the parts I need they just need to be taken off. Does the trunnion need to be cut off the replacement barrel and the one in the gun is brazed to the replacement barrel? Just curious...

A barrel nut holds it in the trunion

The front part is soldered on

You can heat it up and remove and place on new barrel. Takes a torch $25 and flux. Medium skill level required. I did my own

Gun smiths are 6-12 months out. Its easier and cheaper to find a barrel with the front part soldered on

Edited by huggytree

Send it to Ohio Ord they still work on MP-40'S i am sure. and if the few i know are still there. one knows MP-40s real well. He built them and barreled them. good luck in whatever you do. And get it done right maybe one day i will tell the tale of the post MP40' that was the disaster from hades. Made IT right almost by somebody who by the end did not care.RON K.

Ohio ord was one of my smith horror stories. The had my

Mp40 for months. No quote. Finally told me 6-9 months to get to it and $2700 to fix after multiple phone calls. Sent it to another smith. $600 and done in a month. Looks like new. Only needed refinishing and minor welding on tube to tighten twist . Owner was arrogant and nasty. Charged me $100 extra beyond return shipping just to make me more angry.

OK, I am ready for your story about the post MP40. I have plenty of time today as I am snowed in. It is blizzard weather here. Can't wait to get back to Arizona soon!

We got our blizzard in colo last tues Im ready for AZ too...heading back on Tuesday. Ha

... Does the trunnion need to be cut off the replacement barrel and the one in the gun is brazed to the replacement barrel? Just curious...

This might be a question of nomenclature. The trunnion should be brazed into the receiver. Some very late guns have a big crimp. Either way, the barrel just slides into the trunnion, and is secured by the barrel nut. The nut is torqued and then locked in place by staking the thin steel locking ring.

A true original MP40 armorer's spare barrel will have all normal inspection and proof marks, but will lack a serial number. I know they exist, but I've never seen one. Invariably, what someone refers to as an armorer's spare is a serial numbered barrel from another gun, making the gun a mismatch.

I had a true armorer's spare NOS MP40 bolt, complete, with no serial number. It sold for big bucks. With that bolt in place, a nice bolt mismatch gun was turned into one with no mismatched serial numbers.

Edited by TSMGguy

Front sight base or whatever you want to call it is soldered on

I had to remove mine. I heated up and removed mine off my old barrel and added flux to the new barrel, heated it up and pushed it on. Its on and wont come off, so my swap worked without adding new solder

If you know someone who is handy and can use a torch its a 10 min job.

Edited by huggytree