Thinking Of Getting A Class Iii

I've been mulling over the idea of getting a Class III license and I was wondering if there's anything I should know ahead of time. I've gone to the ATF's website and read the FAQ's, and Danbrew's forms site. My CLEO shouldn't be a problem, but how's the ATF? Thanks in advance.

If you are talking about buying a NFA item subject to a tax stamp on a Form 4, I say go for it.

My first immersion into the NFA was around 1996 and I do not regret it.

I would suggest going for the item you really want first rather than buying something cheaper.

If you are talking about becoming a SOT dealer, I can not help with any suggestions.

Sig, I should've been more specific. I think faster than I can type. I'm thinking of going the SOT route. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't know about the state you live in, but here in washington the CLEO has nothing to do with whether you get your SOT. The NFA branch of the BATF is a very, very, very, very big pain in the rear to deal with!!

If you can run any types of industrial machines like surface grinders, lathes or milling machines with any degree of accuracy I would say first apply for your 07 license this is a manufacturer of firearms, depending on the state you may have to prove you actually can machine parts and build guns! After you get this license (which took me about 6 months and tons of paper work) you request the application for the "Special Occupancy Tax" this is your SOT hence after paying your annual 500.00 you are a class II manufacturer! In my opinion this is the MOST powerful license you can get next to DD the 07 SOT entitles you to all the privileges that a standard dealer has any rights to buy post samples but the beauty is that you can make your own weapons do your own conversions, build your own silencers! You see each time you "buy" a post sample machine gun it is truly supposed to be to demonstrate your gun to a department for future sales. With a class II you can build them and see which that you prefer, then demonstrate which ever you like! And each time you build a specific weapon you do not need a letter to do it you simply register it as soon as you are finished, There are a few other little things like not having any more than 2 of any variant as a post sample (only 2 stens one mark II one mark III) Little things like this are pains but how many do you need? If you want more than one buy pre samples or transferables! If you need any help drop me a line janowski@alltel.net it was well worth it.

Dave

With this license, does the ATF have minimum criteria for proving that you aren't in it just to build a collection?

Since anything he manufactures (m.g.-wise) would be a post sample, he can only possess(sp) it as long as he maintains his SOT status..if he lets that lapse then the firearms will have to transfered to another dealer (with a demo letter), transfered to a P.D. or gov't agency, or surrendered to the ATF