28 Overstamp Parts Kit

I know of one which went for over $1,250. two years ago - with GI 28's with lyman rear sights now selling for over $1,000 ??

Sam

If you are talking about a COLT 1921/28 overstamp parts kit.

The last Colt 1921 Thompson kits that I am aware of sold at the end of October for $6,500 each.

I know there were at least 2 maybe more and they went very quickly at that price.

michael

IMHO those '21 parts kits sold for at least 20% more than their true value. In point, two estimates of the components were given. At the low end barrels were estimated to be worth $1,500. However, at the same time period, Jerry P., who has a reputation (deserved or not) of being on the high side of pricing had '21 barrels at $1,200 that did not sell. Clearly, even $1,200 was more than the market would bear.

Further, Gordon H. , "Deerslayer" Dan Block, Damon, and presumably others are capable of producing parts that are, for all intents and purposes, virtually indistinguishable from the originals.

"Yes, but mine are really, really originals." As debated ad finitum, who can tell except an expert with a known original side-by-side.

Yet further, who wants these besides somebody who has a 21/28 that has wrong or missing parts? How many potential buyers are there? That is, how big is the market?

Bottom line, such parts sets aren't worth much, to me anyway.

The kits sold exactly for market value. Think about it the market (buyers) were willing and able to pay the requested price.

The issue is you believe they are worth less and that is OK to, just means you don't have that particular parts kit.

If you are lucky you might find someone to sell you a kit for 20% less but I doubt it.

Facts are facts and those kits are gone at $6,500 each.

Okay, how about "IMHO those '21 parts kits sold for at least 20% more than their true worth." ?

Also, I regretfully neglected to include Doug Richardson as a true craftsman, capable of producing top notch TSMG parts.

EDITED TO ADD: Of course, hardrede, PK, Ron Cicaldi (sp?), etc. are also to be included as top notch TSMG parts producers. The point being, there are clearly many people who can and do produce high quality TSMG parts. Thus, the worth and value of a '21 or 21/28 parts set are in the eye and pocket book of the seller and buyer. I don't dispute that there are parts sets that have sold at the stated prices. If buyer and seller are both happy, good for them. Over.

Edited by SecondAmend

There were a number of them that sold for around $5000.00-$6000.00 within the last two years. There is a Dealer (Not that I'm going to mention any names) that purchased a number of '21 Parts Kits out of South America for practically nothing, and sold these for the above prices. Apparently there are a lot more of them there too.

Further, Doug Richardson, Gordon H. , "Deerslayer" Dan Block, Damon, and presumably others are capable of producing parts that are, for all intents and purposes, virtually indistinguishable from the originals.

SecondAmend,

The availability of un marked reproduction parts has not affected the true market value of torched Colt TSMG parts guns. But interested buyers are even more obliged today to be savvy enough to distinguish the legitimate ones from the repros.

So instead of the availability of these repro stocks, grips, barrels, selectors, actuators, ejectors, etc filling the void for what is erroneously thought to be unobtainable and cost prohibitive original factory made parts, they have only increased the desire of collectors to step up and get the real deal when the availability is present. The desire for collectors to buy the available original parts has never been satisfied by the sources who make the repro ones. Even the ones that are unmarked and as you say, "virtually indistinguishable from the originals." But I doubt the above mentioned repro sources are frustrated by the continued limited availability of these original parts kits since they themselves created their repro parts because of their love and appreciation for the original Colt TSMG.

I advertised a Colt 1921/28 U.S. Navy overstamp as a complete parts kit without any drums or magazines. The reciever wasn't cut yet and I was able to sell it to a cop/police department for $6,000 as a complete weapon(it is on a ATF Form 10). That was a year ago, I think.

Here's the gun I got 6k for.http://www.hunt101.com/img/229570.jpghttp://www.hunt101.com/img/229566-big.jpg

QUOTE (Sig @ Dec 10 2004, 04:29 PM)
Sam
The last Colt 1921 Thompson kits that I am aware of sold at the end of October for $6,500 each.
I know there were at least 2 maybe more and they went very quickly at that price.
michael

We are talking "parts kits" right? And you are saying six thousand five hundred dollars right?

QUOTE (Sig @ Dec 10 2004, 04:29 PM)
Sam
michael

Yes, it is Colt.