Double drum for MG34. Cost?

michaelkih

I have a guy offering me 500 rounds of east German Kurz Ammo for my MP44, a double drum for my MG34, and the loading tool for it for $1050 shipped. I assume the ammo is around $1/round, so does $550 for one of those drums plus the loading tool sound about right? I hate coming on here just asking for price advice, but I really can't find anything else about this right now.

Thanks,

Mike

Perhaps you are aware that there are possibly only 10 or so genuine, vintage MG34 saddle drums known to be in collector's hands, which are extremely expensive, so the drum will be an MG15 drum. MG15 drums are set up with quite stiff follower springs and often MG34s don't have the spring power to drive the rounds from the drum. The spring tension of the MG15 drum can be adjusted with difficulty, requiring disassembly of the drum, which is the difference between MG34 and MG15 drums. MG34 drums have an external spring tension adjustment.

Unless the drum is in exceptional condition, the price is close to double what you can buy them for. If the loader is just the well guide, then the price of the drum drops a bit. If it is the loading machine that simultaneously winds the springs in each drum allowing cartridges to be easily inserted into the well, then it is an excellent deal. These loaders usually are in the $750-1000 range.

You might ask the seller exactly what he is offering you…….

FWIW

there is the top cover necessary to hold the drum on the gun. Minor point of $1500-2200. Buy Folke's books, all this stuff is pictured and clearly outlined. Supporting guys like that and buying their books encourages others to write them and helps spread the knowledge and further the hobby as others contribute to it. You really shouldn't even shoot a gun like that without some reference materials to know you even have all, or even the correct parts in it. Get all those parts together with the loader and you'll have a $3500 display that likely won't function. I have the whole original setup and it looks cool. Probably works, but I haven't had time to mess with it.

I don't shoot the German ammo anymore in my MP44's, just not that great, corrosive, and more expensive than PPU. A buck is about the going rate if you need it, however it's now more of collectible as it dwindles, especially if boxed. HTH