New to me 1928A1

Dan,

Neat looking gun, lots of character in that one. It looks like some British Armorer hand stamped the butt stock slide to match the gun for inventory purposes. It appears the stock was at one time on Savage Thompson # 54572.

I pulled it apart last night. All of the metal is Savage. When did Savage start using the smooth actuator and control levers? Barrel looks good. No pitting and has visible rifling. The fore end is marked M. The grip has some stampings on the top but I cannot tell what they are. It has some painted possibly unit markings on the starboard side of the butt stock. I will try and post a picture of those today.

How long is the recoil spring supposed to be? This one is 11.25". I have some spares, but they are all between 11.5" and 12.25". Change or not?

Dan

Definitely a nice gun! I would definitely prefer a original beat up finish and furniture over a refinished one. Rear grip definitely looks like one of Savage manufacture.

Congrats on the acquisition!

Andrew

Cant really make out what this says. Any thoughts?

To me, the top line looks like MTB (something). The bottom line appears to be a date, (something) and the year, 50 for 1950. The gun certainly has many of the hallmarks of British service. When were the smooth pivot, safety, and actuator introduced? IIRC, the late 300,00 serial range.

i really like this gun as a piece of history

1. its got real wear, yet isnt rusted and pitted....its interesting how it must have been oiled down really well with all the exposed areas to be silver and not rusty

2. it has tommy gun on the top....a somewhat rare thing and desirable to all

if you paid correct market value on the gun i think you did well...not a beauty queen, but most war guns are refinished and pitted...yours looks original, so its beautiful in its own way....not a gun you will have to worry about scuffing and being anal with...a gun you can shoot and enjoy

how many guns have the TOMMY GUN written on the top? just a few hundred thousand correct?

i see it every so often(my favorite part of your gun)

Cant really make out what this says. Any thoughts?

To me, the top line looks like MTB (something). The bottom line appears to be a date, (something) and the year, 50 for 1950. The gun certainly has many of the hallmarks of British service. When were the smooth pivot, safety, and actuator introduced? IIRC, the late 300,00 serial range.

After the MTB is the number 45. I cannot read the rest.