* * - - - 2 votes

Thompson Pics

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 M40scoutsniper

M40scoutsniper

• Regular Group
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Vintage long range shooting. Firearms and militaria from WW1, The Banana Wars, and WW2.

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:55 PM

Here are a few of the China Marines. The last one isnt and has nothing to do with TSMGs, but couldnt resist when there are Devil Pups wearin sombreros😎

Attached Files

#22 Quintilian

Quintilian

• Regular Group
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Militaria collector, gunwritter, gun restorer, radio host, pipe smoker, calligrapher, bachelor of Information Technology;

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:17 AM

Yugoslav Partisans, The Fifth Overseas Brigade (a British and Yugoslav-organized unit, 1944)

Attached File  The Fifth Overseas Brigade.jpg   217.3K   51 downloads

#23 Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:34 PM

Such moving, cool pictures- Thanks so much for sharing

#24 m3bobby

m3bobby

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:33 AM

Somewhere I have or had a magazine article with a Chinese Thompson. The inlet sling on the butt was a belt buckle type affair screwed to the butt.

#25 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2652 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:52 AM

First Pic with Airborne troops most interesting.  Three reasons, 1. Interesting magazine system configuration, 2. modified grip on forearm, 3. ! Notice the stock on this 28, it has the cross-bolt reinforcement modification, (?) supposedly, this wasn't done during wartime, yet here is the Pic.  Anyone have info on this pic, unit and/or timeframe?  

Which post and which pic are your mentioning?

#26 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2823 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:12 AM

First Pic with Airborne troops most interesting.  Three reasons, 1. Interesting magazine system configuration, 2. modified grip on forearm, 3. ! Notice the stock on this 28, it has the cross-bolt reinforcement modification, (?) supposedly, this wasn't done during wartime, yet here is the Pic.  Anyone have info on this pic, unit and/or timeframe?  

TSMGguy,

Here is the picture he is referring to:

Attached File  Thompson Airborne.jpg   159.62K   45 downloads

#27 SubmarinerFan

SubmarinerFan

• Regular Group
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:52 AM

Here are a few Chinese Thompsons from the Peoples Military Museum I visited sometime 10 years ago while in Beijing.

Yes, the Chinese made their own, one was a 7.62mm variant, I believe built in Shanxi. The other, with the swivel on buttstock and barrel were made .45 caliber.

Attached Files

#28 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 774 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:10 PM

M3Bobby mentioned an article on the Chinese Thompson.
Seems to me I recall an article by Dan Shea in SAR many years ago....with several great pics.
Now I gotta go digging.....

Edited by john, 10 April 2020 - 06:10 PM.

#29 reconbob

reconbob

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 2605 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:25 PM

That reminds me - one of my favorite lines from The Magnificent Seven https://www.youtube....h?v=Y3F_NXw1N00

Bob

#30 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:59 AM

That reminds me - one of my favorite lines from The Magnificent Seven https://www.youtube....h?v=Y3F_NXw1N00

Bob

Here's a couple of pics that Eli Wallach signed for me from that great film. He played the Mexican bandito "Calvera". By the time he made "The Good The Bad and the Ugly" 6 years later, he had already laid the groundwork for portraying the great part of "Tuco".

Mike Hammer

Attached Files

#31 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:29 AM

Getting back to Thompsons, here's a photo of mine showing some Thompson use to bring down a Jap sniper.

Mike Hammer

Attached Files

#32 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 774 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:30 PM

The Good, Bad and Ugly was a classic.
A lot of very inaccurate gun info, especially the percussion revolver with cartridges, but still great.

Tuco could have said::
"Eh, Blondie! Maybe next time I do the cutting, eh?
Eef I had a Thompson the cutting would be a lot easier"!

Edited by john, 11 April 2020 - 08:32 PM.

#33 M40scoutsniper

M40scoutsniper

• Regular Group
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Vintage long range shooting. Firearms and militaria from WW1, The Banana Wars, and WW2.

Posted 11 April 2020 - 09:49 PM

I love a converted 1851 navy to cartridge. I got to thinking today that once all this COVID business is over I will try to link up with the head historian for Fort Benning down at the National Infantry Museum. I wanna see if I can sweet talk my way into going through their TSMGs documenting them, photographing them, and go through their archives of photos. I was extremely fortunate to make friends when I helped map out some WW1 training areas I found.

#34 mgvince

mgvince

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 389 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 10:41 AM

One thing I find interesting is that there are few photos of magazine pouches being worn. I know a lot of the photos are non combat action photos.

#35 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2652 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 12 April 2020 - 01:56 PM

TSMGguy,

Here is the picture he is referring to:

attachicon.gif Thompson Airborne.jpg

Thanks! I think we'd need a better, more detailed pic to conclude that that's a standard M1928A1 stock reinforcing bolt. In the meantime, the best info we have states that these were all made as spare parts.

#36 M40scoutsniper

M40scoutsniper

• Regular Group
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 02:20 PM

The last photo doesnt have any TSMGs in it, but grabbed my attention due to the Marine holding the BAR with what looks like a Monitor muzzle device.

Attached Files

#37 APEXgunparts

APEXgunparts

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Military history & martial arms.

Posted 12 April 2020 - 02:59 PM

One thing I find interesting is that there are few photos of magazine pouches being worn. I know a lot of the photos are non combat action photos.

A couple of years ago I was scouring the web for pictures of M3 and M3A1 Grease Guns.
I noted in a lot of cases the extra magazines were kept in Soldiers pockets.
Reading more about it I found the 30 round magazine bag (with shoulder strap) was only issued to tanks.
That was still the case in the 1980's on the M60 series tanks I served on.
I saw some 30 round mags stuffed into 20 rd pouches.
Generally it seems the Soldiers with SMG's were left to their own means to find ways to carry extra mags.
Mostly I didn't see Soldier's with many spare mags either.

Richard

#38 reconbob

reconbob

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 2605 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 04:02 PM

Vietnam

Attached Files

#39 JJX

JJX

• Board Benefactor
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 05:33 PM

Vietnam

Interesting how many photos I have seen of Thompson’s in Vietnam with no buttstock.More than I have noticed from World War II. Is that because it was less of a primary weapon in Vietnam and more used for close quarters? A PDW?

A few months ago I asked a Vietnam vet what types of submachineguns he observed in Vietnam (we were not talking about Thompson’s at the time). He said that he saw quite a few Thompson’s, usually with the butt stock removed.

#40 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 774 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 06:03 PM

M44 jacket on that guy, too.....maybe early 60's.
Friend of mine was there 1967-68 and drove a supply truck.
He dumped his M16 for a '28 Thompson that he bought from a Marine who was going home ($20.00) with three 30 round sticks and no buttstock. Said he cleaned it and it ran perfectly.
He said it and his 1911A1 were "just right" for CQ truck guns.
He said he sold it when he went home for....$20.00!

Edited by john, 12 April 2020 - 06:05 PM.